• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or 22.04 LTS

miciainspalla

New Pleskian
I need a new VPS.
I have to choose the operating system and I have always worked with Ubuntu.
My question is whether to proceed with version 20.04 or wait for the release of version 22.04
How long will it take from the release of version 22.04 before this release is supported by Plesk?

What would be the limitations with plesk on ubuntu 22.04. Sometimes some modules are not ready.
And what processor ? arm64 or amd64 or both ?

Example for Debian 11 and plesk and limitations (Info in french) :
Il semblerait que Debian 11 soit supportée sur Plesk Obsidian depuis la version 18.0.42
Quelques petites choses à noter toutefois :
PHP n’y est disponible qu’en version 7.3 minimum (exit donc les 7.0 7.1 et 7.2)
Les modules suivants ne sont pas encore compatible/disponible :
WatchDog
ModSecurity Atomic ruleset
Mailman
Webalizer

What would be the limitations with plesk on ubuntu 22.04. Sometimes some modules are not ready.
And what processor ? arm64 or amd64 or both ?
Work on support for this operating system is still underway, so it's too early to discuss any limitations. Accurate information will be available only after the release.
As far as I know, ARM support is not planned yet, due to unreasonably high costs and low demand for this feature.

I am curious on the outcome. There seem to be quite a few things which differ, like the deprecation of iptables. Neither Plesk Firewall nor Plesk Fail2ban seem to support nftables up till now.

I also wonder: Is it planned to provide a possibility for Dist-Upgrading Ubuntu 20 to 22? And if so, how long will it take?

I am curious on the outcome. There seem to be quite a few things which differ, like the deprecation of iptables. Neither Plesk Firewall nor Plesk Fail2ban seem to support nftables up till now.
nftables is used by default but you can still use iptables. You just have to install it using `apt-get install iptables` so this shouldn't be an issue for Plesk Firewall or Fail2ban.

nftables is used by default but you can still use iptables. You just have to install it using `apt-get install iptables` so this shouldn't be an issue for Plesk Firewall or Fail2ban.
Still it's better to go with the actual standards, than relying on compatibility layers which may be dropped sooner or later.
Fail2Ban seems to support nftables natively, so it should only require mofidied rules.

Still it's better to go with the actual standards, than relying on compatibility layers which may be dropped sooner or later.
Fail2Ban seems to support nftables natively, so it should only require mofidied rules.
Normally I agree but with all the high level nftables exploits this year sometimes it's better to use something that's been around for a while: [oss-security] Linux kernel: CVE-2022-1015,CVE-2022-1016 in nf_tables cause privilege escalation, information leak [LWN.net]

@danami An advance question: We're successfully using Danami Juggernaut (not Plesk or Fail2Ban) on Ubuntu 20.04 (which uses iptables) and that's all good.
If / when we upgrade the Ubuntu OS to Ubuntu 22.04 and then run the Plesk Dist Upgrade process https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213410369 What (and at what stage...) would we need to do with Danami Juggernaut? Add iptables as you've posted above - Yes or No? Anything else? You can PM if it's a detailed answer / process.

Back