• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Unable to connect with FileZilla

DigitalSplendid

Regular Pleskian
Launched a Plesk Hosting Stack on Ubuntu through Amazon Lightsail. Not sure if it comes under Plesk Obsidian or Plesk Onyx.

My query is regarding connecting with FTP using FileZilla.
Intend to migrate a WordPress instance from AWS Lightsail WordPress (Bitnami) to Lightsail Plesk.

I have the FTP credentials for the destination website that is on Plesk here: 1

Unable to connect: 1

Help appreciated.

Neither the domain digitalsplendid.host, nor the IP address are responding to a ping, nor are they responding on the FTP port. You need to check why the host is down.

It appears that I have been able to connect through FileZilla. However, not sure how to get hold of WordPress files.

Attachments

• filezilla.jpg
    filezilla.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 15
Normally, Plesk subscriptions are located in /var/www/vhosts/<domain name>/
and the document root path is /var/www/vhosts/<domain name>/httpdocs

In order to access the configuration directory content (/system) you need to be logged in with "root". The same is true for the /<domain name> subscription directories where you web content is stored.

The /system directory should not be of any interest. It contains auto-generated configuration files, e.g. the Apache and Nginx configuration files of your domains. These should not be edited manually anyway.

Normally, you log in by FTP using the subscription's FTP account, so that your FTP home directory is /var/www/vhosts/<subscription name>. From there you can then see and edit files in this directory and the document root directory that descends from your FTP home.

@Peter Debik Thanks for the prompt response.

I could access /var/www/vhosts/digitalsplendid.host. But cannot get into files/directories within digitalsplendid.host. Is it due to permission issue that I need to correct through Flie Manager under Plesk dashboard.

According to your screenshot you are logged in with a user named rajbag2025. Is this the owner of the digitalsplendid.host subscription? If not, use the FTP owner of that subscription, then you can edit your files.

The account that is set for SSH access can also be used to access your files through FTP. But these accounts are always meant to root in /var/www/vhosts/<subscription name>.

The subscription owner can be seen in the "Web Hosting Access" icon of the subscription or - if the only entry - in the FTP icon. It is probably rajbag2025 as this is also the owner of the subscription directory shown in your screenshot.

I am not sure why FTP logs you in on the root level instead of the subscription level. That is most likely wrong. When logging in with FTP and the subscription user, your home directory should be /var/www/vhosts/<subscription name> and you should not be able to see directories above that path.

Have you changed FTP settings of your FTP server or other file permissions? Maybe running plesk repair fs would be a good first step to correct that, but there might be more issues there if you cannot access the subscription directory through FTP when using the correct user. I won't be able to assist with a solution of that, I'd need to look into the server, but that's something I can not offer.

Launched a Plesk Hosting Stack on Ubuntu through Amazon Lightsail. Not sure if it comes under Plesk Obsidian or Plesk Onyx. My query is regarding connecting with FTP using FileZilla. Intend to migrate a WordPress instance from AWS Lightsail WordPress (Bitnami) to Lightsail Plesk. 1 I have the FTP credentials for the destination website that is on Plesk here: 1 Unable to connect: 1 Help appreciated.

you can simply find the answer from google.

Choose only this one: /bin/bash (chrooted)
Never anything else, because only this one option jails the user to his/her own subscription. All other options grant full access to all other areas of the server. That is something you do not want. You only want a chrooted user account to their own subscription.

@Peter Debik

Once again I could access only up to digitalsplendid.host but not beyond.

Also, I find it strange to access FTP.

It does not work with FileZilla when I enter:
Host: digitalsplendid.host
Username: splendid1008
Password: xxxxxxxx

It shows
Error: Could not connect to server.

But when I take a download of .pem file from Accounts under Amazon Lightsail, using PuTTY generator, generate Private Key File, and then from FileZilla, Site Manager, using SFTP-SSH File Transfer Protocol, Host 65.0.253.2, user Ubuntu uploads Private Key File, then could manage to access directory up to digitalsplendid.host.

Back