• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unable to install v7.5.3 on my Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 ES from DELL

F

fgilain

Hi all,

I just bought a new server to DELL with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 ES into it.

Now, i try to install the latest Plesk 7.5.3 but never have any success; here is how i do :

1) Install Red Hat using Dell assistant
2) use up2date -u to update every default packages to latests
3) use up2date -uf kernel kernel_utils kernel-sources kernel-smp ... to force update of kernel version.
4) i run the autoinstaller script from SW-Soft server and i always have the same kind of problems :

error message concerning connect_db at startup
have a notice that i have newest package than needed and that i could give me dependances problems (it does....)

what should i do, i can't allow me to just use out of date packages given by SW-Soft and put this server in production !

We run plesk on dell servers and it works fine.. but, we don't use dell assisten to install.. first we make a minimum install of CentOS / RHEL, and after that we add all the rpms that are needed by plesk.. not sure if it "has" to be done that way, but atleast it works :)

I'm using Plesk 7.3 on a Dell 1750. Only problems I've had have been related to using up2date and getting dependancy errors with Plesk's install or updates.

The problem is not Dell servers, but probably the mysql version it installed. Which version are you running? What exactly is the error message in the plesk install log?

Where could i find the entire log of the last Plesk installation attempt ?

i could run Red Hat installation without using the Dell assistant, but what about installing specific server drivers (megaraid, backplane...) ?

doing as yo utell me won't allow me to have an up é date system ? will i really have to stay with "old" versions, and so holes in my system ?

The log will be in /tmp ... I think providing the log will be the best way to progress with this. You're probably right about drivers, they might be integrated into the OS but I'm unsure as I don't use the devices you mentioned.

The error log's going to be the best way to help you.

Which version of mysql are you using? (this could be important) Does:

/etc/init.d/mysql status

or

/etc/init.d/mysqld status

...work?

Installing th OS with Dell's CD, or manually, won't provide an up2date OS, but you can upgrade things later once you get Plesk installed.

[root@www1 root]# rpm -qa mysql-server
mysql-server-3.23.58-16.RHEL3.1

it is my actual mysql servers's version.

I could'nt install linux from scratch without using Dell CD ROM because my disks were not seen by the linux installer (need to load drivers from dell first ?) and i'm not a linux GURU so i'm unable to install it without Dell CDs....

All is working ok now.
i used the up2date -u command to update packages from red hat, but kernel and initscripts are marked as "config modifyed..."

I'd prefer upgrading kernel too, don't you think i should ?

Florent

Originally posted by fgilain

I'd prefer upgrading kernel too, don't you think i should ?

It's always a good idea to run a kernel with the latest patches as usually new kernels are released to either patch known bugs or vulnerabilities.

Care is required here though, as Dell may have either installed its own build of the kernel (to include the drivers it needs for the disk subsystem) or at least built a custom initrd to include those drivers - and a default Red Hat kernel may not boot because it may not have those drivers available.

Hummm,

Dell seem to add a system to load specific drivers at boot (dkms or something like that as i remember) :

megaraid2 (raid card ?)
e100 and e1000 (intel network card)
backplane5700 (or something like that...)

is there a way to get theses drivers work with new kernel too ?
did someone with Dell servers already have a howto document ?

thanks

Back