• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

unable to separate domain resolution and email resolution (problem with qmail)

H

hanoc

Hi,

I have a very simple problem that is driving me mad.

I have plesk 7.5.4 installed in a fedora dedicated server and I am trying to configure a domain.

We have a very complicated mix of companies involved but it's simpler than it looks, we have:

a company providing the domain resolution (DRco).
a company providing hosting (ourselves) (WEco).
the previous company providing the hosting (due to disapear from the mix) (PASTco).
a company providing mail service (MAILco).

Note that right now userdomain.com exists and is pointing to PASTco and mail.userdomain.com is pointing to MAILco.
We only wan't to change the pointing from PASTCO to WEco, nothing else.

The problem is that when I create the domain in the plesk (userdomain.com) I am no longer able to deliver mail to [email protected] from email accounts inside the same plesk installation... meaning that I can not send emails from [email protected] to [email protected] because qmail is searching for the email in localhost not in the real location of mail.userdomain.com.

Of course the user does receive emails from other sources.

I've tried to remove all DNS entries under the domain entry in plesk and I got some results...
now if i do
#telnet mail.userdomain.com 25
from our plesk machine
I get to the correct email server in MAILco.

But if I send an email using [email protected] I get the following error:
Code:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at companydomain.com
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
This address no longer accepts mail.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: (qmail 26311 invoked from network); 26 Mar 2008 09:17:32 +0100
Received: from 173.red-83-60-91.dynamicip.rima-tde.net (HELO ?192.168.1.40?) (83.60.91.173)
  by otherdomainwithinourpleskinstalation.com with SMTP; 26 Mar 2008 09:17:32 +0100
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:25:42 +0100
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 (Windows/20080213)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: User Name <[email protected]>
Subject: test mail 7
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

It really bugs me the line:
Received: from 173.red-83-60-91.dynamicip.rima-tde.net (HELO ?192.168.1.40?) (83.60.91.173)
by otherdomainwithinourpleskinstalation.com with SMTP; 26 Mar 2008 09:17:32 +0100

otherdomainwithinourpleskinstalation.com changes from test to test... and has nothing to do with the userdomain.com at all...
they are always domains within our plesk installation... but they make no sense.

What is very intriguing also is that I can connect to mail.userdomain.com with telnet from a shell account in the plesk box but not with qmail while sending email.

I have also tried to leave the A and MX level resolution and point the appropriate entries to the MAILco IP but then not even telnet worked.

Any kind of help that points me toward the solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Back