• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Unable to transfer zone file to slave server

LaneP

New Pleskian
Hi all

We've provisioned a new instance of Plesk on a CloudLinux server. We've installed the Slave DNS Manager extension and configured a slave server. The sync between these two servers is showing as successful in Plesk.

Our issue is that the zone file isn't being transferred to the slave server.

Our "symptoms" are identical to the first three listed in the following support article:
Unable to transfer zone to slave server: zone may fail to transfer to slaves

However, we've triple checked that the secret keys are identical on the slave server in the following files:
- rndc.key
- named.conf

We've also confirmed the directory/file permissions are correct.

Can anyone provide any additional things we should be checking to hopefully resolve this issue?

Thank you kindly.

Hi LaneP,

I don't ever configure Slave DNS Manager with Plesk on CloudLinux, but I did it for Plesk and slave DNS server on CentOS with SELinux. If you run a slave DNS server on CentOS with enabled SELinux, you need to tune named_write_master_zones setting (named_selinux(8) - Linux man page):

Code:
# getsebool named_write_master_zones
named_write_master_zones --> off
# setsebool -P named_write_master_zones 1
# getsebool named_write_master_zones
named_write_master_zones --> on
#

I am not sure but hope it can help you.

Hi AYamshanov

Thank you for your response. We're not running SELinux but this lead me to another post of yours that contained information that resolved the issue.

Zone don't get created or modified on Slave · Issue #3 · plesk/ext-slave-dns-manager

Cause:
The zone is added to the running name server, and it is added to a configuration file. The filename is a hash of the view name with extension .nzf. 'named' need write permission for create files in work directory. By default work directory without write permission for 'named'.

Resolution on Slave DNS Server:
# ls -la /var/ | grep named
drwxr-x---. 6 root named 4096 Jan 13 14:52 named
# chmod g+w /var/named
# ls -la /var/ | grep named
drwxrwx---. 6 root named 4096 Jan 13 14:52 named
# service named restart
- Resync all DNS zones in Slave DNS Manager on Plesk Server

Note we're running named in a chroot environment so the paths are different than above. Looks like this is an issue only for CloudLinux/CentOS servers running Plesk.

Thank you for your help. It's very much appreciated.
Lane.

Back