• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unable to update FTP subaccount error message

D

Daniel Odulo

Hello,

Plesk broke, again :(

When atempting to create an FTP account, or to change password on an existing one, I get the following error message:

"Error: Unable to update FTP subaccount: Unable update FTP subaccount: ftpmng --update-user failed: Virtual host Plesk Managed (.89) on IP address 66.165.128.89 already exists"

Running Plesk 7.6.1 for Windows.

Thanks!

Anyone out there?

Is anyone out there? This is a very urgent, critical issue. We have lost all access to FTP account management/creation. CRITICAL!

Anyone out there?

This is a very urgent/critical issue, as we have lost the ability to create FTP accounts.

I believe this has happened before. I think the issue was that Windows permissions got whacked on the responsible Plesk account, and had to be reset.

Any help would be life-saving!

How come the "open question" flag is not on? How do I turn that flag on for this post to increase visibility? Anyone? Are there better forums to post on?

Solution

Hello,

After a year of downtime, and no help here nor from my host, I finally discovered the solution.

Error messages:
Unable to update FTP subaccount: Unable update FTP subaccount: ftpmng --update-user failed: Virtual host Plesk Managed (.xxx) on IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx already exists
Unable to update hosting preferences: Update FTP user failed: ftpmng --update-user failed: Virtual host Plesk Managed (.xxx) on IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx already exists.

Actual error message of interest:
ftpmng --update-user failed: Virtual host Plesk Managed (.xxx) on IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx already exists.

Explanation of error message:
"Plesk Managed (.xxx)" is the actual name of an FTP site set up in IIS Manager. What Plesk did not like was that the IP address of this site was set to a specific IP, instead of to "(All Unassigned)".

Solution:
Open IIS Manager on the server;
Expand "FTP Sites" folder;
Locate the site named, ("Plesk Managed (.xxx)" in my case);
Right-click it and select Properties;
Change "IP address" from a specific assignment to "(All Unassigned)";
Click "OK" of "Apply".
Done!

In Plesk 9.2 I don't see IIS Manager. I see IIS aplication. Is this the same thing

IIS Manager is not part of Plesk, but part of Windows. Look up IIS Manager in Windows Administrative Tools.

This is what I have. I did what was said to default and it didnt work.
attachment.php

Attachments

• plesk.JPG
    plesk.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 22
Kevin,

You don't even have the Plesk default FTP site set up, as I do on my server. Perhaps Igor can assist with whether you should have that site and are missing it, or if there is a good reason for why you don't have it.

You should probably provide more information on your issue: versions you are using, what errors you are encountering, any special configuration you may have (to explain the missing default FTP site for Plesk.)

Hi,
The issue seems with the binding of ip address in IIS. you should check the binding of that specific ip address in iis ftp sites and you need to unbind it.The ip with you are trying to create new domain is already delicately bonded with another website or ftpsite manually in IIS that's why plesk database is not allowing to create new domains or ftp users on that ip address.

Instructions provided by parallels Team are appropriate and should work to resolve the issue.i have faced this issue many times and i had to go through some additional troubleshooting steps, i prepared a post so other can avail the benefits of it.

Please check the below URL:-
http://blog.geek4support.com/?p=50

Thanks
Geek4Support Team
http://blog.geek4support.com

Last edited:
Back