• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue unable to

AbejSI

New Pleskian
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie and I've been stuck for the whole afternoon on something that should be rather simple.
Here is the situation: I have my domain at OVH.
I have Plesk on a VPS server at OVH too.
I'm not able to redirect the DNS record of my domain to the Plesk server.
I edited the A record and the TXT (redirecter) on my domain DNS records to my VPS IP address.
What am I forgetting here ?

I understand that you updated your A-record to point to the IP address of your server. Normally, you should route these two by an A-record to your IP:
@
You also need an MX record, however this cannot be routed to an IP, it first needs to go to a domain name, for example a subdomain of your domain like "mail.<yourdomain>". Then create an additional A-record for mail.<yourdomain> and route that one to your IP, too.

After you have stored the record, it may take a few hours for the new settings to become active on the internet.

Hi Peter !
Thank you very much for your help. I think my DNS config is OK but I still get an 404 not found error. Attached is a printscreen of my DNS at OVH.
Again your help is very much appreciated.

Julien.

Attachments

• ovhdns.jpg
    ovhdns.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
Good news, Julien, your A-record is correct and resolves to the IP address that you have set. So requests to your domain are routed to your server.

However, you need to add more.

1) Add at least one more A-record for your www subdomain. I don't know whether OVH wants the fully qualified domain in their "Domain" field like www.abej-lille.fr, or if they only want to see the www there, but for sure you need to route this subdomain, else the www spelling of your domain won't be routed to your server at all.

2) Add at least one MX record that points to your server. This is how it is done: Remove the existing MX record, it is wrong. Add a record just for your domain abej-lille.fr (as you did for the A-record), route it to any subdomain of your choice, for example set "Target" to "mail.abej-lille.fr". Then create an A-record for the mail-subdomain (just like step (1) where you create an A-record for the www subdomain) and route that record to the IP of your server.

I think that the "Cible" ("Target") of the MX entry is still incorrect. It should not go to "1mail", but to mail.abej-lille.fr.

Ah I see, it's because I had to use the absolute notation with ovH. Anyway:
1602323073182.png

Thanks a lot again, you really helped me out on this one :)

Back