• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Unknown DNS zone

NianP

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Good day,

Currently I have two different DNS zones for one domain (showed in CLI). When I tried to add DNS record on Plesk Web UI, the new record will add to the zone with ".next" in the end.
For example: Two zone are: "example.com" and "example.com.next".
When I access to /var/named/run-root/var/, I can see the new record has been added to "example.com.next" zone only.

After that, I tried query for the new record by lookup to the server but its said non-exist domain.

Does anyone have any idea about the ".next" DNS zone?

Really appreciate.

Hi!

I am not sure that I understood the scenario correctly, some real example or screenshots would help. Anyway, I will try to reproduce the scenario how I understood it,

two different DNS zones for one domain [...]
For example: Two zone are: "example.com" and "example.com.next".
To be precise, there are two different domains: one of them "example.com", the second one is "com.next" (or 3rd level domain for it is "example.com.next".

When I tried to add DNS record on Plesk Web UI, the new record will add to the zone with ".next" in the end. [...]
When I access to /var/named/run-root/var/, I can see the new record has been added to "example.com.next" zone only.
Expected, right?

After that, I tried query for the new record by lookup to the server but its said non-exist domain.
With what CLI command have you tried this? If a domain is not configured correctly on the Registrar side, it makes sense to ask the local nameserver to resolve the domain.

---

Anyway, I created domains from the example on my Plesk server, then added a "test" record with IP address 1.1.1.1 for one of them and a "test" record with IP address 2.2.2.2 for the second one.

After that, let's ask the local nameserver (127.0.0.1) to resolve the domains,
Code:
root@panel:~# dig +short @127.0.0.1 test.example.com

root@panel:~# dig +short @127.0.0.1 test.example.com.next

root@panel:~#

It seems everything is working correctly / expectedly.

Hi!

I am not sure that I understood the scenario correctly, some real example or screenshots would help. Anyway, I will try to reproduce the scenario how I understood it,

To be precise, there are two different domains: one of them "example.com", the second one is "com.next" (or 3rd level domain for it is "example.com.next".

Expected, right?

With what CLI command have you tried this? If a domain is not configured correctly on the Registrar side, it makes sense to ask the local nameserver to resolve the domain.

---

Anyway, I created domains from the example on my Plesk server, then added a "test" record with IP address 1.1.1.1 for one of them and a "test" record with IP address 2.2.2.2 for the second one.

After that, let's ask the local nameserver (127.0.0.1) to resolve the domains,
Code:
root@panel:~# dig +short @127.0.0.1 test.example.com

root@panel:~# dig +short @127.0.0.1 test.example.com.next

root@panel:~#

It seems everything is working correctly / expectedly.
Hi!

Thanks for you relpy.

More precise, I have many domains in one Plesk server, but only this one have ".com.next", other domains have one DNS zone only.

And that's not what I expected when I'm adding DNS record to the domain.

I'm using nslookup with server is IP of Plesk server but I couldn't see the record created recently.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to remove 3rd level domain for this domain? I don't think I needed that.

Hello, @NianP. Could you please execute the following command:

cat /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf | grep domain.com

Where you need to replace "domain.com" with the domain name you are having issues with. The output of the command will show the zone file defined for the domain name in question.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Hello, @NianP. Could you please execute the following command:

Where you need to replace "domain.com" with the domain name you are having issues with. The output of the command will show the zone file defined for the domain name in question.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Hi Sebahat,

Thanks for your reply.

The output of your command is showing the zone named "example.com", not "example.com.next".

But when I'm adding new DNS record via Plesk Web UI, it will add the record to "example.com.next" zone. Is this an issue?

Thank you for your update. This doesn't sound like typical behavior, the changes you perform should be applied to the domain.com file. It might be worth it to execute a repair of the DNS service:

plesk repair dns

If that doesn't help, it will be best to open a ticket with Plesk support for further investigation. To sign-in to support and open a ticket go to https://support.plesk.com. If you got your license from a reseller, your reseller should provide support for you. If the reseller does not provide support, here is an alternative to get support directly from Plesk: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12388090147095-How-to-get-support-directly-from-Plesk

Thank you for your update. This doesn't sound like typical behavior, the changes you perform should be applied to the domain.com file. It might be worth it to execute a repair of the DNS service:

If that doesn't help, it will be best to open a ticket with Plesk support for further investigation. To sign-in to support and open a ticket go to https://support.plesk.com. If you got your license from a reseller, your reseller should provide support for you. If the reseller does not provide support, here is an alternative to get support directly from Plesk: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12388090147095-How-to-get-support-directly-from-Plesk
Thank you Sebahat,

Anyway, is there any configuration file that related to this issue? For example: which configuration file will decide where to save DNS zone when using web UI to create new DNS record, domain name?

Thank you Sebahat,

Anyway, is there any configuration file that related to this issue? For example: which configuration file will decide where to save DNS zone when using web UI to create new DNS record, domain name?

The zone file of each domain name is defined in the /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf file. The changes you perform through the GUI should be applied to that file.

By default, zone files for domains are stored in the /var/named/run-root/var directory, as defined in the /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf file. Each zone file has a name identical to the domain name. If you change the zone through the GUI, Plesk rewrites the file.

Link to the documentation.

As far as I understand, in your case the config file returns the correct zone file. Hence, it is quite strange that the changes are not written to the correct file. Do you by any chance have DNSSEC enabled for that domain name and DS records preset in the DNS zone in Plesk?

The zone file of each domain name is defined in the /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf file. The changes you perform through the GUI should be applied to that file.

As far as I understand, in your case the config file returns the correct zone file. Hence, it is quite strange that the changes are not written to the correct file. Do you by any chance have DNSSEC enabled for that domain name and DS records preset in the DNS zone in Plesk?
In the named.conf file, that domain still have the right zone information "domain.com". But when I add new DNS record from GUI to the domain, its add to the "domain.com.next" zone.

What I think is that DNS zone is still working, but the way GUI operate with the DNS zone is not correct. Do you have any idea?

And I don't have DNSSEC enabled, its not even installed yet.

Back