• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Update #7 - PHP 7.2.5 - php.ini

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi,
today I made the Onyx 7.8.11 #7 update. PHP was updated to 7.2.5 and the installation stopped asking for a decision:
Code:
Configuration file '/opt/plesk/php/7.2/etc/php.ini'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** php.ini (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? D
Usually, in other updates/upgrades, like for example grub, and more, I always use the default option and keep the current version.
This time I thought, why not examining what is new and probably better.
So I opened another shell, made a backup of old php.ini on local computer and hit "D" for show Differences.
There were only three differences. Two belong to Windws, so not important for me.
The only linux change was the following switch from:
Code:
mail.add_x_header = On
to
Code:
mail.add_x_header = Off

For the reason that the old value was modified by Plesk for better functionality, my question is:
Shall I change this value to the old "On" or better use "Off"?
What do You think about it. An additional question could be, why is this value changed by installation?

Last edited:
PHP >= 5.3.0 has configuration option mail.add_x_header that includes user UID and script filename into a X-PHP-Originating-Script: mail header when mail is sent via PHP mail() function (arguably a lot of spammers use it).
So, I think that changing to Off was done in the scope of some kind of security improvements.

Back