• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Update Error - Release does not have a Release file

Luiz_Gustavo

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.52 Update 3
Today this error accurs on Plesk automatic update.
How should I correct this?

My Ubuntu is 18.04.5 LTS and Plesk 18.0.52 Update #3

Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release' does not have a Release file

plesk sbin pum --check
2023-08-11 11:00:50 INFO: pum is called with arguments: ['--check']
2023-08-11 11:00:53 ERROR: E:The repository 'Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
2023-08-11 11:00:53 ERROR: Exited with returncode 1.

apt-get update
Hit:1 Index of /ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /pool/PSA_18.0.52_11753 bionic InRelease
Get:3 Index of /ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]
Hit:4 Index of /pool/PHP_7.3.33_248 bionic InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /PHP74_17 bionic InRelease
Hit:6 Index of /grafana/deb stable InRelease
Hit:7 Index of /pool/PHP_8.0.28_161 bionic InRelease
Hit:8 Index of /DRWEB_6.0.2.9 bionic InRelease
Ign:9 Index of /PHP80_17 bionic InRelease
Get:10 Index of /ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [83.3 kB]
Hit:11 Index of /pool/PHP_8.1.19_114 bionic InRelease
Hit:12 Index of /pool/PHP_8.2.6_37 bionic InRelease
Get:13 Index of /ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [88.7 kB]
Err:14 Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release
404 Not Found [IP: 89.187.173.11 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

i have the same issue on

Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.52.3
OS version: Ubuntu 18.04 x86_64

No new Update in Plesk available and the repo is error 404

Fehl:15 Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release
404 Not Found [IP: 138.199.26.17 80]

Ubuntu 18 was end of life May 2023. Plesk does not support operating systems that are end of life. Please upgrade your distribution to at least Ubuntu 20 to continue to receive updates for Plesk and PHP.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is out of standard support, not end of life. I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Ubuntu Pro (Ubuntu Pro | Ubuntu) which provides support until 2028. Plesk should still support Ubuntu 18.04. There is a reason people choose Ubuntu.
Yes Thoma,

It's strange that Plesk has stopped updating the Panel; this doesn't make sense to me. Everyone knows that 'dist-upgrade' often has issues, and migrating to another server is challenging when hosting numerous customers.

Ubuntu Pro is a version that is only available to paying Ubuntu customers. It is not Ubuntu Main, the main stream product that is available for free. Ubuntu charges $ 500/year for just the software maintenance without ticket support. If you want support from them in addition to security fixes, they currently charge $ 1,775/year per server (see Ubuntu Pro | plans and pricing | Ubuntu).

This raises an interesting question: Would you also be willing to pay Plesk to keep supporting an outdated operating system with say the same price annually? I am seriously asking, because for maintaining a product for an outdated platform, Plesk would need to hire enough extra staff to maintain Plesk for Ubuntu 18 Pro and other outdated operating systems. Maybe there is a high demand for it that we don't see? @Luiz_Gustavo , @thoma.info, @StefanS59 Are you actually paying the $ 500/year to Ubuntu to keep using Ubuntu 18?

If you are interested in the Plesk lifecycle policy, end of life dates are listed here:
They have also been listed before for Ubuntu 18.

@Peter Debik a few points here:

1. There is a free option for Ubuntu Pro for personal servers. But I would be happy to pay the $500 per year to Ubuntu. That's still cheaper than migrating the whole server every 5 years. The reason for people to chose Ubuntu is the long support periods. And I am already paying Plesk $300 per year.

2. Pleask doesn't support end-of-life operating systems, that's fine, no issues. The point is, that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is not end-of-life yet.

3. Following your thinking, are you only supporting AlmaLinux 8 and Rocky Linux 8 until May 2024 (AlmaLinux OS, https://endoflife.date/rocky-linux)?

4. You are still supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.x (Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian), which has a similar support structure as Ubuntu and came off full support in 2019.

How do we stop the daily emails with the error the thread-opener mentioned?
We don't have time to migrate all the customers at the moment and need to keep the machine running for a while

My Ubuntu is 18.04.5 LTS and Plesk 18.0.52 Update #3

Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release' does not have a Release file

plesk sbin pum --check
2023-08-11 11:00:50 INFO: pum is called with arguments: ['--check']
2023-08-11 11:00:53 ERROR: E:The repository 'Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
2023-08-11 11:00:53 ERROR: Exited with returncode 1.

apt-get update
Hit:1 Index of /ubuntu bionic InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /pool/PSA_18.0.52_11753 bionic InRelease
Get:3 Index of /ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [88.7 kB]
Hit:4 Index of /pool/PHP_7.3.33_248 bionic InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /PHP74_17 bionic InRelease
Hit:6 Index of /grafana/deb stable InRelease
Hit:7 Index of /pool/PHP_8.0.28_161 bionic InRelease
Hit:8 Index of /DRWEB_6.0.2.9 bionic InRelease
Ign:9 Index of /PHP80_17 bionic InRelease
Get:10 Index of /ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [83.3 kB]
Hit:11 Index of /pool/PHP_8.1.19_114 bionic InRelease
Hit:12 Index of /pool/PHP_8.2.6_37 bionic InRelease
Get:13 Index of /ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [88.7 kB]
Err:14 Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release
404 Not Found [IP: 89.187.173.11 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'Index of /PHP80_17 bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
Just delete or out-comment the line for the repo in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/plesk.list

BTW:
The distro upgrade procedure from Ubuntu 18 to 20 on Plesk is a very bad joke.
For a paid product this is unacceptable.
I'm considering to ditch PLESK.

@Peter Debik
Why not just answering the original question - how to get rid of the error message.
Instead schooling the user. Typical Linux code-nazi behavior.

@robotic, thank you, but I'd really not want to be called a "Nazi", neither on this forum, nor elsewhere. If you feel you know better advice to users, please simply respond to the user question yourself.

The original question was
The best practice answer is to upgrade the operating system. Advising users to stick with an outdated, unsupported operating system is questionable. In my opinion blocking the symptoms, but not getting down to the root cause is similar to advising an ill patient to ignore the illness and instead take morphium to not feel the pain. But again, if that is your opinion, go ahead and tell users how to quiet symptoms instead of fixing the root cause.

@robotic, thank you, but I'd really not want to be called a "Nazi", neither on this forum, nor elsewhere. If you feel you know better advice to users, please simply respond to the user question yourself.

The original question was

The best practice answer is to upgrade the operating system. Advising users to stick with an outdated, unsupported operating system is questionable. In my opinion blocking the symptoms, but not getting down to the root cause is similar to advising an ill patient to ignore the illness and instead take morphium to not feel the pain. But again, if that is your opinion, go ahead and tell users how to quiet symptoms instead of fixing the root cause.
Of course, upgrading the distro would be the best solution. But you don't provide a tool for that, which you should.
The upgrade process is adventurous. For not-so-experienced users it is a very tough task, to upgrade a live system from Plesk-Ubuntu 18 to 20.

Of course, upgrading the distro would be the best solution. But you don't provide a tool for that, which you should.
Would it not rather be the task for the operating system vendor to provide a tool for upgrading the operating system?

Would it not rather be the task for the operating system vendor to provide a tool for upgrading the operating system?
The Ubuntu distro is easily upgradable with the option
Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
Unfortunately it breaks PLESK, if run without a long list of pre-conditions being met.

From Ubuntu 18 to 20 it would only work with MariaDB, not with MySQL.

In other words, it's broken. Most people have to migrate their PLESK installation.
I manage a couple of servers to which it applies. A lot of work to migrate them.

I won't run them on PLESK anymore, but a different server management tool ... I'm fed up.

Interesting. Which other server management tool that is somewhat comparable to Plesk and its capabilities does not need upgrades after the operating system was upgraded to continue operations?

Interesting. Which other server management tool that is somewhat comparable to Plesk and its capabilities does not need upgrades after the operating system was upgraded to continue operations?

It should be a scripted task, and for the user it should be a one-click (or command) operation.
For users running Plesk-Ubuntu 18 on MySQL there is no path to upgrade at all. They have to migrate to a brand new installation.
I've been using PLESK for more than 10 years, but it's enough now with this ****.

Ubuntu Pro is a version that is only available to paying Ubuntu customers. It is not Ubuntu Main, the main stream product that is available for free. Ubuntu charges $ 500/year for just the software maintenance without ticket support. If you want support from them in addition to security fixes, they currently charge $ 1,775/year per server (see Ubuntu Pro | plans and pricing | Ubuntu).

This raises an interesting question: Would you also be willing to pay Plesk to keep supporting an outdated operating system with say the same price annually? I am seriously asking, because for maintaining a product for an outdated platform, Plesk would need to hire enough extra staff to maintain Plesk for Ubuntu 18 Pro and other outdated operating systems. Maybe there is a high demand for it that we don't see? @Luiz_Gustavo , @thoma.info, @StefanS59 Are you actually paying the $ 500/year to Ubuntu to keep using Ubuntu 18?

If you are interested in the Plesk lifecycle policy, end of life dates are listed here:
They have also been listed before for Ubuntu 18.
We are a paying customer for Ubuntu Pro. However, the cost for esm-infra updates for Ubuntu 18 is €75 for a VM and €225 for a physical server. We just paid this. So why you come up with €500 I don't know. Turning on esm-infra updates with pro enable esm-infra gives the same error as in this topic. So Plesk breaks turning on esm-infra updates because on other Ubuntu 18 servers we don't have this issue.

For the record, we are not only running Plesk on an Ubuntu 18 server. We have more Ubuntu 18 servers which cannot be upgraded directly. In this case the esm-infra updates solution from Canonical gives us more time to upgrade our servers. I think it's strange a product running on Ubuntu (no matter wat version this is) essential breaks Ubuntu.

@Peter Debik a few points here:

1. There is a free option for Ubuntu Pro for personal servers. But I would be happy to pay the $500 per year to Ubuntu.
True & the free option comes up again later in this answer.
We wouldn't be happy to pay an unnecessary (depending on your own server and setup configs and demands...) $500 annual fee but YMMV.
That's still cheaper than migrating the whole server every 5 years.
Is that your own, actual genuine experience?
Have you yourselves, migrated a server (that's running Plesk) from one Ubuntu OS release to the following Ubuntu OS release?
If yes, are you saying that it cost you more than $500 when you did so?
If yes, how and / or what went wrong?
Or, did you sub that out, on a chargeable basis, hence the cost?
The reason for people to chose Ubuntu is the long support periods. And I am already paying Plesk $300 per year.
This ^ depends on how and where, you've purchased your Plesk Licences, to be fair.
We used the Plesk Migration Tool, to move servers from Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
Yes it takes some careful preparation, but it worked perfectly and it cost $0 zero, apart from our own time...
The upgrade process is adventurous. For not-so-experienced users it is a very tough task, to upgrade a live system from Plesk-Ubuntu 18 to 20.
Have you yourselves, used the Plesk Dist-Upgrade Process to move a server from one Ubuntu OS release to the following Ubuntu OS release?
If yes... what went wrong and when you fixed it, what was the actual cause?
NB Don't include the MySQL / MariaDB Issue, because that's clearly visible in advance.
We used the Plesk Dist-Upgrade Process, to move from servers from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, without any issues at all (just lucky?)
We could have used the Plesk Migration Tool again (see previous comment) but for us, the Plesk Dist-Upgrade Process was actually quicker & easier. YMMV.
It should be a scripted task, and for the user it should be a one-click (or command) operation.
Have you yourselves, ever seen or used a major server OS upgrade process that is
"...a scripted task, and for the user it should be a one-click (or command) operation..."
If yes, what and where was it / is it? i.e. Do you still have a link?
We haven't, to date, but maybe we've just not looked in the right place for it?
We are a paying customer for Ubuntu Pro. However, the cost for esm-infra updates for Ubuntu 18 is €75 for a VM and €225 for a physical server. We just paid this. So why you come up with €500 I don't know. Turning on esm-infra updates with pro enable esm-infra gives the same error as in this topic. So Plesk breaks turning on esm-infra updates because on other Ubuntu 18 servers we don't have this issue.
Can't comment on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS now (see above) but from the information shown in your post above, it looks like you are using more than 5 machines on one Ubuntu Pro account, is that right? See the opening comment on Ubuntu Pro being free, albeit that doesn't solve your Ubuntu 18.04 / Plesk problem in fairness. There's quite a long discussion (with the same findings concerning the free optiopns) HERE on ask Ubuntu and it's on many other online sites too.
For the record, we are not only running Plesk on an Ubuntu 18 server. We have more Ubuntu 18 servers which cannot be upgraded directly. In this case the esm-infra updates solution from Canonical gives us more time to upgrade our servers. I think it's strange a product running on Ubuntu (no matter wat version this is) essential breaks Ubuntu.
Understand this, apart from the last sentence. We have several servers all running Plesk on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS without any errors caused by an Ubuntu /Plesk interface / interchange. Can empathize with all the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS challenges that you currently have, but having said that, can't see what the reason is, for staying on that specific Ubuntu OS release when there are at least two usable upgrade options that are offered by Plesk (if all of those servers are running Plesk)

No, we don't work for Plesk and we don't get paid by Plesk, for making any comments that may be viewed as being in their favour, but, there appears to be some "whataboutisms" in this thread, mainly based on potential financial outlay, as opposed to any big, specific, Ubuntu / Plesk issues.

Plesk isn't perfect, and it's obviously not for everyone, but what software is? (if we're being truthful) Plus, do remember that Plesk is not compulsory, is it?

This issue was discussed internally, and the argument that Ubuntu 18 is not end of life, but "out of standard support" cut it, so for a limited time only, enjoy the benefit of a bit longer Ubuntu 18 support by Plesk since Plesk 18.0.56, published October 10th, 2023:

Returned support for Ubuntu 18.04 until September 2024:

Until September 2024 (the Extended Support end date), Plesk continues to deliver new versions of Plesk Obsidian for Ubuntu 18.04. It includes delivering new features and security updates if they do not contradict the software delivered by the OS vendor.
  • Plesk continues to accept technical support requests from Plesk Obsidian on supported product versions on Ubuntu 18.04 without any restrictions.
  • Plesk reserves the right to warn Ubuntu 18.04 administrators about risks of an outdated OS using any channels including in-product notifications.
We would like to make the following recommendations to our customers:

Thank you, @Peter Debik . Has the recent Plesk extended support announcement been tested with the Ubuntu 18.04 PRO extended support?

@Hielko Any anecdotal updates from the Plesk announcement on your install? I'm looking to confirm that Ubuntu Pro 18 will function with the latest Plesk update.

I am having difficulties understanding what is asked. Could you please rephrase the question?

Back