• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question update MariaDB from 10.3.35 to 10.6 or 10.10 or 10.11

tanasis

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.8
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.54 Update #1
Hello,
I want to upgrade MariaDB from to 10.3.35 to 10.6 or 10.10 or 10.11 (preffered)

On this server I have Opencarts (2.0.3.2 and 3.x version) and Wordpress' (last and latest versions).
Also, 3-4 Joomla websites

Shall I have problems with these websites?

Plesk Obsidian: 18.0.54 Update #1

I want to upgrade MariaDB from to 10.3.35 to 10.6 or 10.10 or 10.11 (preffered)
MariaDB 10.10 isn't (officially) supported by Plesk. Fortunately 10.11 is supported, which is also a LTS (Long Time Support version).

On this server I have Opencarts (2.0.3.2 and 3.x version) and Wordpress' (last and latest versions).
Also, 3-4 Joomla websites

Shall I have problems with these websites?
I don't think the MariaDB upgrade will impact your websites in any way. Certainly not Wordpress or Joomla sites. I am not entirely sure about Opencarts, you'll have to ask the Opencarts community.

I did the following to update from 10.3.35 to 10.11.5 on a test server before upgrading to the production server...

Actions performed as root.

1. Create dump backup folder:
# mkdir /root/dbBackups

2. Dump databases, just in case(don't proceed if this action failed):
# plesk db -Ne 'show databases' | egrep -vE '(information_schema|performance_schema|mysql)' | xargs -l bash -c 'mysqldump -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` $0 > /root/dbBackups/$0.sql'

3. Create /etc/yum.repos.d/mariadb.repo with the following contents:
[mariadb] name = MariaDB baseurl=https://yum.mariadb.org/10.11/rhel8-amd64/ module_hotfixes=1 gpgkey=https://yum.mariadb.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-MariaDB gpgcheck=1

4. Stop mariadb server:
# systemctl stop mariadb

5. Remove it:
# rpm -e --nodeps `rpm -qf /usr/libexec/mysqld`

6. Create repository cache and install new MariaDB from it:
# yum makecache
# yum install mariadb-server
(will be prompted to hit "Y" a number of times)

7. Adjust config's bind_address value:
# sed -i 's/::ffff://' /etc/my.cnf

8. Start MariaDB 10.11:
# systemctl start mariadb

9. Upgrade tables:
MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql_upgrade -uadmin

Done....

# systemctl status mariadb

image3617.jpg

Do you see anything "strange" or is everything fine?

Please run plesk sbin packagemng -sdf to let your Plesk installation know you have a new MariaDB version.

Please run plesk sbin packagemng -sdf to let your Plesk installation know you have a new MariaDB version.

After that I did a reboot.
Plesk writes now...
image3618.jpg

On this test server (VPS), I have 5 working websites (Opencart, Joomla, WP).
Do you think it is safe to do the above process on a larger (Dedicated) production server?

It would be safe if you did not only dump the databases, but also copied the whole database directory to a backup location, e.g.
cp -v -a /var/lib/mysql/ /var/lib/mysql_backup
(This can only be done reliably, if the database server has stopped beforehand.)
With both backups, you'll always be able to restore the content if something goes wrong.

Please also check the instructions in https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...5-to-5-6-5-7-or-MariaDB-5-5-to-10-x-on-Linux- for different operating systems. They explain all the steps in detail. But all in all, with a backup, like the above mentioned, nothing severe can happen.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I have another question...

OK, I will copy the whole database directory as you suggest.
If I have problems, what should I do then? Can I go back to the previous version?

The upgrade is a straightforward process. Problems are very unlikely unless an important step like mysql_upgrade is omitted. The only risk I could image are dependency issues, but it's very unlikely. In case you run into trouble with the upgrade I recommend to open a ticket with Plesk support. They'll almost certainly fix it, especially if you have the backups.

Back