• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

updater icon disappeared!

KingSky

New Pleskian
I recently used the updater icon to upgrade my control panel to 7.5.2 successfully. Now that I have done so though, my 'updater' icon has disappeared.

I didn't install all the updates (some were optional). So now if I want to go in and install the Migration Manager, how do I do it?

try searching the forum, it is easy enough to answer your question but that would only perpetuate duplicate threads.

mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa -e 'UPDATE misc SET val=false WHERE param=disable_updater'

worker, thanks for that!

exothermic- I did search the forum several times with different terms, and browsed through many forum pages as well... didn't find a thing.

Just for giggles, I did a search for "updater icon missing" and found ZERO results. I did another search for "updater icon", and yes, there was the solution. Just because I used the incorrect term is no reason to not post an answer and expound on searching. Frankly, it's kind of rude.

When you post replies like this, all you are doing is making it more difficult for other people. Suppose someone does a forum search for this problem and finds this post. It wouldn't have helped them one bit if worker hadn't been so much more helpful.

I found another thread where the person was complaining about this topic being discussed "literally hundreds of times". I sure would like to know where, since I couldn't find the answer.

And to facilitate what I just said, here is a link to the fix which contains the same info worker posted:

http://forum.sw-soft.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21779&highlight=updater+icon

exothermic, sorry for going off on you like that- I just hate it when people complain about duplicate threads and not using search, and then make the problem worse by not posting a solution!

I would have assumed you knew how to search. You won't find posts with every conceivable synonym, for each word in your search phrase. You can take a stab in the dark, fail, post to the forum, you’re basically just asking us to do work which you can easily do yourself. I’m all about community and people helping each other learn, but I’m also a big proponent for people at least being able to wipe their own… There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the forum, and they help when they can, but to ask them to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over is pointless and totally defeats one of the forums purposes. It is best that people learn to, or in your case learn how to search the forum before duplicate posting, or in this case a lot more than that.

I’m so glad that you mentioned the fact of posts like these making it hard for people to find the real answers. The truth is this stems from your first post. A lot of people when they see duplicate posts just pass over them even if they know the answer (for obvious reasons) if that is the case then your post alone, with or without my response, has polluted the search results. I’m not doing this for my own gratification but rather to help people keep the forums efficient and informative as possible. I could have easily posted an answer but this is a classic case of:

Give a man a fish…. Vs teach a man to fish.

Happy fishing, it comes with practice.

Hey exotherm,

No worries :) As stated, I searched MANY more queries than I posted above looking for the answer, I just didn't find it. Maybe I was tired and missed it, who knows. I do know how to search, thank you! :)

I’m so glad that you mentioned the fact of posts like these making it hard for people to find the real answers. The truth is this stems from your first post. A lot of people when they see duplicate posts just pass over them even if they know the answer (for obvious reasons) if that is the case then your post alone, with or without my response, has polluted the search results.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Yes, my post would have been polluting the threads if I hadn't searched at all first, and if this topic was easy to find an answer for. It wasn't. I looked. I didn't find it. I thought I searched enough keywords initially.

Now, someone else could have come along, searched for the same keywords I did, found this thread with no answers if nobody had responded with one. Most likely they wouldn't have found any other posts helpful either and would have posted another thread. Now they can see the link and find the answer, minimizing threads.

I think this situation is kind of a catch 22... but how annoying is it when you search for something on a forum, check 15-20 threads, and they all say 'learn to search!'.

Again, there are two sides to every issue. BOTH of our posts polluted the forum, mine for missing the answer if it was out there, and yours for not just answering. I appreciate your taking the time out to 'teach' me how to fish, but I already know how, the fist just weren't biting that day! :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Just wanted to thank Worker too. I searched and this was the answer. thanks.

Back