• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Updates for PHP on Debian 9.13

Alain Ronce

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 9.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi, I use Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44 running on Debian 9.13. I am very disappointed because I cannot receive updates now due to the dropped support for Debian 9. Upgrade to debian 10 seems very complex and risky for a running server, so I would like to know if there is an easy (or well-documented way) to update only PHP ? it is a question of security.
Best regards
Alain

I am bringthis up just to clarify. My Debian 13 Plesk installation also stopped updating on 18.0.44 and i thought it was the MariaDB update i performed.
Is 18.0.44 the final version for Debian 13?
If that so, why my other 3 servers running Centos 7 keep getting updates? (currently on 18.0.46)

Ok after digging a bit and in case another had the same noob question as me, I suppose the image below has all the answers.
Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 6.53.00 PM.png
It is really disappointing for debian though. Cause even Debian 10 is not a good solution at this point. And as far as i know big hosting providers (like Hetzner for example) does not give an option for Plesk+Debian 11 yet. (although you can install them separately)

With CentOS dead, a migration to Alma Linux could be the second best choice at this point(?).

cheers

Hello,
Plesk 18.0.44 is the last release for Debian 9.13 (this was explained in the Plesk Update History). My solution was to migrate all the sites from one server to another (Plesk Plugin is available for that), don't forget to verify you have the Plesk serial number . Then I reinstalled from scratch Debian 10 on the first server, and migrate back the sites on this server and Plesk. it is very simple, no problems. I've just some configurations missing with mailman (language lost). Cent OS is not concerned with Plesk Updates for the moment. Best Regards

Igor provided link to detailed in-place dist-upgrade procedure, which successfully works for Debian and Ubuntu.

You will be able to upgrade your debian 9 to 10, after that you will be able to dist-upgrade it to debian 11, which is fully supported by Plesk 18.0.47.

just prepare full server backup before, to be able recovery everything in case something goes wrong.

for me migration to some temporary server, and migration system back to reinstalled server looks more risky.
also you can prepare full Plesk server Backup, reinstall your existing server as clean Debian 11, install Plesk with the same key
and restore Plesk backup.

but again, in-place dist-upgrade looks more safe from my point of view.

Thank you guys for your input. I am not a Debian guy, this was my first debian server after having few Centos servers for many years. So all this upgrade every 3-4 years does not make me very happy.
I see that you suggest a dist-upgrade and two possible routes to that.
For many years my way was to buy a new dedicated server, install my desired linux distribution+Plesk, make the necesary upgrades if needed(MariaDB etc) migrate my old plesk to the new one, switch DNS. New server ready and working!
Provided that i have nothing customized outside of Plesk shouldn't this be a better, faster and safer solution? I trully have no expeirince on dist upgrades so your opinion matters here :)

Lastly, would n't you even consider Alma Linux? (or any other post CentOS clone)

cheers all!

For many years my way was to buy a new dedicated server, install my desired linux distribution+Plesk, make the necesary upgrades if needed(MariaDB etc) migrate my old plesk to the new one, switch DNS. New server ready and working!

According to the docs, the dist-upgrade has a downtime "of one to three hours". Since I can't afford that ammount of downtime the "new server -> plesk migration tool -> switch DNS" has been the way I've updated my Plesk when the OS goes unsupported.
In a couple of days everything is migrated and no downtime whatsoever.

Back