• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Updating 9.0.1 to 9.3.0 failed - register groups in chrooted environment?

S

sebastian_

Hello,
I recently tried updating to Plesk 9.3.0 from 9.0.1 via command-line (rpm -i --force psa-9.3.0-cos5.build93091230.06.x86_64.rpm), after a previous attempt with the GUI updater left me with a somewhat corrupted installation;
currently I'm stuck with what is supposed to be an SQL syntax error, but actually seems to be more chroot-related:

Stopping named: [ OK ]
done
Trying to untar named run-root directory structure... done
Trying to set up default permissions... done
Trying to start service named... rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
named is stopped
Starting named: [ OK ]
done
Trying to install chrooted environment... mknod: `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/dev/null': File exists
groups: application/x-shellscript
probably it will not work in chrooted acconts

WARNING!
During the register groups in chrooted environment found some problems(see log file:

/tmp/psa_9.3.0_cos5.build93091230.06_upgrade.120729.12.55.log)

Continue...

done
===> Installing phpMyAdmin
done
===> Installing /usr/sbin/suexec replacement
Trying to backup original /usr/sbin/suexec... `/usr/sbin/suexec' -> `/usr/sbin/suexec.saved_by_psa'
done
===> Cumulative upgrade has been started

ERROR while trying to upgrade SQL database from 900
Check the error reason(see log file: /tmp/psa_9.3.0_cos5.build93091230.06_upgrade.120729.12.55.log), fix and try again

Aborting...

error: %post(psa-9.3.0-cos5.build93091230.06.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

and psa_9.3.0_cos5.build93091230.06_upgrade.120729.12.55.log:

`/usr/bin/groups' -> `groups'
groups: application/x-shellscript
probably it will not work in chrooted acconts

WARNING!
During the register groups in chrooted environment found some problems
Continue...

`/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server'
`/lib64/libcrypto.so.6' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libcrypto.so.6'
`/lib64/libutil.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libutil.so.1'
`/lib64/libz.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libz.so.1'
`/lib64/libnsl.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libnsl.so.1'
`/lib64/libcrypt.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libcrypt.so.1'
`/lib64/libresolv.so.2' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libresolv.so.2'
`/usr/lib64/libgssapi_krb5.so.2' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libgssapi_krb5.so.2'
`/usr/lib64/libkrb5.so.3' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libkrb5.so.3'
`/usr/lib64/libk5crypto.so.3' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libk5crypto.so.3'
`/lib64/libcom_err.so.2' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libcom_err.so.2'
`/usr/lib64/libnss3.so' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libnss3.so'
`/lib64/libc.so.6' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libc.so.6'
`/lib64/libdl.so.2' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libdl.so.2'
`/usr/lib64/libkrb5support.so.0' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libkrb5support.so.0'
`/lib64/libkeyutils.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libkeyutils.so.1'
`/usr/lib64/libnssutil3.so' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libnssutil3.so'
`/usr/lib64/libplc4.so' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libplc4.so'
`/usr/lib64/libplds4.so' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libplds4.so'
`/usr/lib64/libnspr4.so' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libnspr4.so'
`/lib64/libpthread.so.0' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libpthread.so.0'
`/lib64/libselinux.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libselinux.so.1'
`/lib64/libsepol.so.1' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/lib64/libsepol.so.1'
`/etc/termcap' -> `/var/www/vhosts/chroot/etc/termcap'
done
===> Installing phpMyAdmin
done
===> Installing /usr/sbin/suexec replacement
Trying to backup original /usr/sbin/suexec... done
`/usr/local/psa/suexec/psa-suexec' -> `/usr/sbin/suexec'
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 2: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for

the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=InnoDB' at line 13
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for

the right syntax to use near 'innodb status' at line 1

ERROR while trying to upgrade SQL database from 900

Aborting...

STOP psa-9.3.0-cos5.build93091230.06 upgrading AT Sun Jul 29 12:56:18 CEST 2012

the Panel is partially working, though the database was not updated ("MySQL query failed: Table 'psa.GL_settings' doesn't exist" etc.) and it's still showing 9.0.1 in the title. Domains are currently redirected to the horde login page, btw (I guess due to horde being installed/updated along with the update!?)

Any suggestions on the chroot/database update issue?

Thanks,
Sebatian

//edit: issue resolved; I made a fresh install with CentOS 6 and Plesk 10.4 meanwhile

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I couldn't really find the source of the problem, but made a fresh install of the server meanwhile (the os was outdated anyways, and after all it was probably faster than running lots of update scripts etc., when a downtime of ~2-3 hours is acceptable :) )

Am sorry we didnt help you ontime. Anyways am also glad that you resolved it and you are up and running ..Just incase you hit anyother bump, let us know ..

Did you upgrade to Plesk 11? Its got some pretty nice features worth considering :)

Currently I'm running Plesk 10.4.4, which was included in the latest CentOS image available from the hosting company (I wouldn't have expected the user interface to be that different though).

Though this is not really a technical issue anymore - but what currently bothers me most is that I can't upgrade that mass license to Tomcat configuration capabilities.
I would actually have to buy a complete standalone-license from Parallels which will cost more than the monthly server rent, including the current license (or try to configure Tomcat on my own instead, and make it work smoothly together with the Apache that was configured by Plesk...)

Do you mean adding Tomcat Support (from http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/addons/) to your licence? If so, that can be done even with your own current licence ...Ie that is what we do, just add an add-on licence.

Depends on how much you paying for the server, domain licence and plus the tomcat add-on licence ..Otherwise, we get these at really very good discounted price since we are a bulk buyer, if you want with any our dedicated servers plus a small xtra fee, we can give you these licences ...

that's interesting, however http://www.parallels.com/de/store/plesk/linux/addons/ will redirect me to http://www.parallels.com/de/store/plesk/, and i can only chose full packages (+ addons) there!?
(I even recall entering my license number on some parallels site before, which told me this key was not upgradeable in any way.. just can't find that page again right now, but basically that's also what the 1&1 tech support told me, they buy those licenses in large quantities for a low price, at Parallels would not upgrade them)

Sorry I didn't realize you are still on Plesk 9.*. Yes that is true, Parallels no longer upgrades Plesk 8+9 Licences.

implying I'm running Plesk 10.4.4 on a 9.x license, since it's backwards compatible? (couldn't seem to find that info anywhere in the panel though)
wonder if this 'key upgrade' thing might change anything:
https://register.parallels.com/key_upgrade/
while it states it will upgrade keys <= 8.x, I did not yet receive an error message upon pasting my key, it will rather ask for confirmation... (didn't dare to click the upgrade button though)

///edit:
interesting, so I didn't really look like being the actual 1&1 license manager to them:

The e-mail address used does not match that of the owner of the license in our key administration system. Upgrade of the Parallels Plesk Panel 10.x/11.x and Later for 1&1 (Lease) key can be performed without the physical license, however in order to successfully complete the license upgrade the following criteria must be met:

1) Communication must be possible over the internet through port 5224.
2) The Parallels Plesk Panel 10.x/11.x and Later for 1&1 (Lease) license currently installed must have valid Software Update Service

///edit_#2:
so in this context, 'upgrading' probably just means obtaining a new license key after updating to 10.x, which indeed did happen automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back