• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade Apache 2.0 to 2.2 would cause Plesk to be removed

B

bealzebub

I'm trying to upgrade my Apache on our Ubuntu Dapper Drake server from 2.0 (with poor man's balancing) to 2.2 (with real load balancing) and have already tried quite a few routes (compiling Apache from sources, then symlinking the whole lot so that it appears to Plesk as the normal Debian installation, …), but none of them worked quite well. Then I stumbled on an article and thought I finally would have a foolproof way of upgrading Apache (using apt-get). However, I'm stuck on the last step (actually upgrading Apache), because the package manager wants to delete the Plesk files. I've been searching around for more than a week now, but nothing useful came up.

OK, here's the progress so far:
• I added the "deb http://packages.kodefoo.com/ dapper main" line to the /etc/apt/sources.list
• apt-get update
Now here is were it gets fishy and I am very reluctant to actually go on:
• apt-get -s install apache2 apache2.2-common apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libapache2-mod-fcgid libapache2-mod-perl2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
apache2-common libapache2-mod-php4 libapache2-mod-python libapache2-mod-python2.4
*libpam-plesk php4 php4-ioncube-loader ppwse psa psa-api psa-api-rpc*
* psa-appvault-advancedpoll psa-appvault-autoindex psa-appvault-b2evolution*
* psa-appvault-bbclone psa-appvault-coppermine psa-appvault-cslh psa-appvault-docfaq*
* psa-appvault-egroupware psa-appvault-gallery psa-appvault-geeklog psa-appvault-gtchat*
* psa-appvault-mambo psa-appvault-openbiblio psa-appvault-oscommerce psa-appvault-owl*
* psa-appvault-phpads psa-appvault-phpbb psa-appvault-phpbook psa-appvault-phpbugtracker*
* psa-appvault-phpdig psa-appvault-phpmoney psa-appvault-phpmyfamily psa-appvault-phpsurveyor*
* psa-appvault-phpwebsite psa-appvault-phpwiki psa-appvault-plog psa-appvault-pmachinefree*
* psa-appvault-postnuke psa-appvault-siteframe psa-appvault-tellme psa-appvault-tutos*
* psa-appvault-typo psa-appvault-uebimiau psa-appvault-webcalendar*
* psa-appvault-webshopmanager psa-appvault-wordpress psa-appvault-xrms psa-atis*
* psa-backup-manager psa-bf1942 psa-bf2 psa-cs-gs psa-fileserver psa-firewall psa-horde*
* psa-hotfix3 psa-imp psa-ingo psa-kronolith psa-locale-de-de psa-locale-ja-jp*
* psa-manual-custom-skin-guide psa-migration-manager psa-mimp psa-mnemo psa-passwd*
* psa-php4-configurator psa-rubyrails-configurator psa-sbm3 psa-spamassassin*
* psa-tomcat-configurator psa-turba psa-vpn psa-watchdog sb-publish tomcat5 tomcat5-admin*
* tomcat5-webapps*
The following NEW packages will be installed:
apache2 apache2.2-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils libapache2-mod-fcgid libapache2-mod-perl2
4 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 79 to remove and 56 not upgraded.

From what I see, the upgrade would toss out everything Plesk related. Someone I consulted suspects the problem is that the plesk application is dependent on the apache2.0 packages, thus upgrading to apache2.2 causes plesk to be removed.
Is there a way of avoiding the removal of these packages when upgrading apache so plesk doesn't become worthless?

FYI, upgrading Plesk to the latest version (including all autoinstaller updates) doesn't solve the problem.

Back