• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade FC4 to FC5 assistance please?

Silver Pleskian
Hey,
Running Plesk 8.1 on a FC4 server. How can I upgrade to FC5 the best way with minimum downtime? Any help or experience appreciated.
Thanks!

You could upgrade to FC5's fedora-release rpm and try to yum upgrade to FC5. This is how I upgrade my workstation. This should theoretically work, but your server might just totally blow up in your face when you do this. Make backups and pray.

Or you could use pleskbackup to make a full backup of your server and then wipe the server and install the new OS. More downtime, but more likely to work without problems.

Or if you have another server: use the Plesk Migration Manager to migrate to a new OS and Plesk install on the second server.

I managed to sucessfully get this towork as i am a 1and1 root server customer, they only supply FC4 but i needed MySQL5 etc and found it easier.

All i did was backup all my domains, and plesk settings (inc Licence) and Uninstalled plesk via the de-install process in the install manual.

i then installed the fedora-release 5 rpm and yum updated.

all went ok and even had a nice fresh install of Plesk 8.1 via the autoinstaller

some problems with permitions and existing unix users on restoring the backup but nothing that dident take too long to pin point.

so far im very happy with the update, and ive recieved no more complains about downtime etc from clients.

** Update **
sorry forgot to add that i used this website for the update http://www.makuchaku.info/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-fc4-to-fc5-via-yum

Back