• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Upgrade MariaDB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhon kratoh

New Pleskian
Hi,
Now I use mariadb 10.2.
Is it possible to upgrade to mariadb 10.4 or 10.3?

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.19

Hi,
Now I use mariadb 10.2. Is it possible to upgrade to mariadb 10.4 or 10.3? OS: ‪CentOS Linux 7.7.1908 Plesk Obsidian 18.0.19
The reply from @IgorG gives you confirmation that you can run MariaDB 10.3 on Obsidian, but as you'll see, the page that the link takes you too, is out of date because it is not updated regularly enough. It states MariaDB supports up to MariaDB 10.3.14 when in fact MariaDB is already at release 10.3.18.

The irony is, that Plesk is quite often, a long way behind officially supporting third party current releases for a "variety of reasons" :rolleyes: e.g. Why isn't Plesk's state of the art Obsidian, officially supporting MariaDB 10.4 for example? In fairness, third party releases that ARE officially supported by Plesk are supported very well.

You can upgrade to later third party releases yourself and take a risk as we have done, by runing MariaDB 10.3 on Plesk Onyx where it's not "officially supported" but in our case, it works perfectly, so... A very useful guide to upgrading MariaDB within Plesk can be found HERE both the page and some user comments have good, clear guidance.

Yes, it is possible but do not follow MariaDB's online instructions to upgrading (removing old 10.2 and installing 10.3) as it will hose your mysql directory.

Backup your mysql directory first, disabled watchdog if using it, change your MariaDB version from 10.2 to 10.3 in the repository file, stop MariaDB's service then install MariaDB 10.3. On Debian, apt will take care of uninstalling 10.2 without messing around with the mysql directory.

This worked for me without any issues.

Edit: forgot to mention, you'll have to run this in shell after the upgrade and starting the mariadb instance:

Code:
mysql_upgrade -uadmin -p`< /etc/psa/.psa.shadow `

Last edited:
Seeing that MariaDB 10.3 works in Onyx even though it's not officially supported - i wonder did any of you guys tried to upgrade MariaDB 10.3 (which is shipped with CentOS 8) to MariaDB 10.4 before Obsidan installation ?

I am trying to understand why Obsidian is not supporting 10.4 but 10.3 is supported. Is it that much different for them? Reading ar MariaDB website it doesn't seem drastically different.

So my only assumption is that Plesk Obsidian support MariaDB 10.3 because that version is shipped with OS per default. I guess they want to avoid ticket generation or something like that.

Last edited:
Seeing that MariaDB 10.3 works in Onyx even though it's not officially supported - i wonder did any of you guys tried to upgrade MariaDB 10.3 (which is shipped with CentOS 8) to MariaDB 10.4 before Obsidan installation?
We haven't, yet... (see below as to why) However, within the user's comments section of the page we posted the link to (above) user name Jan Bludau has, posted 6/6/2019 and it's on a CentOS server too if that helps?
I am trying to understand why Obsidian is not supporting 10.4 but 10.3 is supported. Is it that much different for them? Reading ar MariaDB website it doesn't seem drastically different.
Queue some "vague" explanations :) being posted soon. On many third party components; 'Not Supported - Factual Reasons Not Given' is the default endless loop, but then and with no advance notice given, it's suddenly chnaged to Bang! "xyz component IS now fully supported" << This seems to be the usual Plesk way.

FWIW Once all the lastest bugs have been ironed out, more improvements added and it switches over to General Release status (potentially sometime in November we believe) then we'll probably... upgrade to Obsidian for real (as opposed to doing a test upgrade, but then reverting back to Onyx) However, to answer your original question, if you were already running MariaDB 10.4 prior to your Onyx > Obsidian upgrade and which, don't forget, is not officially supported by either Onyx OR Obsidian, well you can see the ready made Plesk escape route if / when that upgrade fails...
So my only assumption is that Plesk Obsidian support MariaDB 10.3 because that version is shipped with OS per default. I guess they want to avoid ticket generation or something like that.
Yeah, we'd agree with that assumption ;) Although, to be fair, IF you raise a ticket and ask for Plesk support to assist you with an update that's not officially supported, Plesk can be very, very helpful indeed, but quite understandably, it is done all at your own risk :cool:

EDIT: Since adding this ^^ post, Obsidian has already been released at GA status. We've therefore upgraded Plesk now and there were no issues (for us) with the MariaDB 10.3 Onyx > MariaDB 10.3 > Obsidian upgrade.

Last edited:
Following instructions to look for the latest supported version from MariaDB, I ended up with a 10.4.x version.

However, it munges the username, evidently.

So when I attempt to perform any database action, such as adding/removing a user or database I get:

Error: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1449 The user specified as a definer ('root'@'localhost') does not exist

Alas, the directions for fixing this are essentially unhelpful. Someone at the MariaDB support forum referred me to a document that discusses different options of adding a user, but none specifically designed to fix the above error.

Can I have a useful step-by-step from someone.

Obviously restoring the server/image/whatever is a non-starter.

Peace,
Gene

Not my issue. I am not going to restore a server with active sites on it.

I just want to fix the problem. I assume any upgrade issues will be resolved over time.

Peace,
Gene

This one seems helpful:

grant all on *.* to 'root'@'%' identified by 'password' with grant option;

But where am I running that anyway?

If I run as an SQL query, wouldn't that have to be done with all databases?

Peace,
Gene

Not relevant, because I'm not doing a backup.

Everything works so far. My concern is whenever I have to create a user and/or database.

The suggestion that I just backup and start over is, by any practical measure, not realistic.

Peace,;
Gene

And let me cut to the chase.

The upgrade to a MariaDB 10.x version was due to the fact that the version installed with Plesk Obsedian is much older, and thus wouldn't allow me to fully import and use a couple of the key databases set up on my original WHM/cPanel server.

I followed a tech document from Plesk listing the error and how to upgrade. But it did not say anything about 10.4.x not being supported. Plesk support is confused about it, with a message saying that it's 10.2.x, even though it appears to be 10.3.x. Either way they gave me the same foolish suggestion which was to restore the content, since downgrading isn't feasible.

Besides, with 10.5 under beta, it's only a matter of time before 10.4.x is officially supported.

It's a matter of spending a few moments entering the right commands in the right place, if I can find proper directions, or spending hours starting from scratch.

Which solution do you think is logical?

Either way, will someone kindly respond to my question about where to run that command listed above to fix things?

Peace,
Geme

@Gene Steinberg To be fair, Plesk support is not usually confusing (and no, we don't work for Plesk!). It's made very clear (in the link i.e. THIS ONE in the other thread, posted above) that Plesk Obsidian runs on MariaDB 10.3.*. So, fresh, new, Plesk Obsidian installs support 10.3.* by default and you could upgrade to 10.3.* (say if you were upgrading from Plesk Onyx to Obsidian and you were running 10.2.* on Onyx) etc. THIS Plesk document explains how do just that, yes the document title maybe dated, but the content and comments section are not. It also states very clearly that MariaDB 10.4.* is NOT supported by Plesk, yet... Given your current situation, it might be easier for you to place a Plesk support ticket >> Plesk Help Center

Actually, my fresh, new Obsidian DID NOT install 10.3.x. If it did, there would be no issue. It installed a 5.x version, which resulted in problems using databases set up on a WHM/cPanel server.

In any case, Plesk will not help because they do not officially support the current MariaDB version. I realize they will, but not yet.

Again, all I want is the way to run that command so I can fix the problem. Period.

The side issues are totally irrelevant. I just want a real solution and not side issues.

Peace,
Gene

Actually, my fresh, new Obsidian DID NOT install 10.3.x. If it did, there would be no issue. It installed a 5.x version, which resulted in problems using databases set up on a WHM/cPanel server
The 'original' database is not provided by Plesk. It is provided by the OS and/or package you're running on your host server. After a new install, you do have the choice / ability to change that via CLI (for use with Plesk) after a new install. How to do that was contained in our previous post.
In any case, Plesk will not help because they do not officially support the current MariaDB version. I realize they will, but not yet.
That's incorrect. If you have a subscription, our own experience is that they are very helpful indeed. Even with 'challenges' like the one you now have.
Again, all I want is the way to run that command so I can fix the problem. Period. The side issues are totally irrelevant. I just want a real solution and not side issues.
See the last paragraph

This is all nonsense.

I just want an answer to my request.

it’s one reason I’m reluctant to ask questions here. It almost always descends into irrelevant side issues.

if you can’t answer my question, please don’t waste my time.

if you can help, please do so and accept my thanks.

Gene

...if you can help, please do so and accept my thanks...
Working on the limited information that you've posted so far, it's clear to see that you have been helped, but for whatever reason, you did not like the answer. That's fine. It's a forum. You can express your own frustration / views as much as you wish. However, you can clearly see that your own actions have produced the situation that you're now in. It also appears from your posts that unfortunately, you have limited technical knowledge / experience with this specific situation. Therefore, the previous helpful suggestion still stands really: "It might be easier for you to place a Plesk support ticket >> Plesk Help Center

The only limit I see is in your inability to understand what I want.

It's just the proper instructions to fix the problem. I cited one above, and merely asked for the proper means of implementation.

Then you went off into neverland.

My assumption here, based on your excuses, is that you cannot answer my question.

Please be so kind as to drop it here, and leave it for someone who can answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back