• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade MySQL from 5.5 to 5.6 on RHEL-based systems

Should Plesk upgrade MySQL to a current version, in a supported and documented manner?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reboot

Basic Pleskian
For Ubuntu, There is an official upgrade way already:

https://kb.plesk.com/en/127962

So, for those who are using RHEL-distributions? And please in a 'good' way, keeping compatibility for future Plesk updates. So, not converting MariaDB to MySQL.

Without this, I can't install scripts that rely on new functions in 5.6. That's a big miss. And it is way too overdone for me to host a new node for the DB, for only one website.

My Magento 2 project needs to get on hold, forced. Frankly, I need to find another ecommerce suite...

Please, provide us a good solution for this.

Not be able to host Mage 2 on a (supported) Plesk install is a big PITA.

---------

Edit: I just took the blue pill and tried it...

The changelog of plesk points out that MariaDB 10.0 specifically is supported on Plesk 12.5.

I added the MariaDB repo to /etc/yum.repos.d/mariadb.repo

Followed by yum update. A bunch of library errors displayed. (All pointing to the same mysql library)

So I decided to remove the old mariadb first:

# rpm -e --nodeps mariadb mariadb-server mariadb-libs

(Note that this specific command prevents Plesk from collapsing - compare it to playing Jenga)

I worked with bated breath as I saw the first message from watchdog that MySQL was down (no ****!)

So, let's try to install it, again.

# yum install mariadb mariadb-server mariadb-libs

Okay, that went well... No errors from yum.

# yum update

No errors from yum as well.

Hmm. MariaDB 10.0 is a lot newer than 5.5... Let's do an DB upgrade:

# mysql_upgrade -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

Phew. All went OK. (Heck, I had backups, anyway...)

I restarted the server and all seems OK - no issues encountered so far. Magento 2 works.

So, in this specific way - you keep MariaDB - and if the changelog above is right, this should be a supported configuration. (Hence, MariaDB 10.0 is supported according to that FAQ)

To the Plesk/Odin staff: Please reply and let us know if this is indeed a proper way of doing this. Some official words regarding this would be very, very welcome.

Last edited:
Back