• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Upgrade MySQL from 5.5 to 5.6 on RHEL-based systems

Should Plesk upgrade MySQL to a current version, in a supported and documented manner?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reboot

Basic Pleskian
For Ubuntu, There is an official upgrade way already:

https://kb.plesk.com/en/127962

So, for those who are using RHEL-distributions? And please in a 'good' way, keeping compatibility for future Plesk updates. So, not converting MariaDB to MySQL.

Without this, I can't install scripts that rely on new functions in 5.6. That's a big miss. And it is way too overdone for me to host a new node for the DB, for only one website.

My Magento 2 project needs to get on hold, forced. Frankly, I need to find another ecommerce suite...

Please, provide us a good solution for this.

Not be able to host Mage 2 on a (supported) Plesk install is a big PITA.

---------

Edit: I just took the blue pill and tried it...

The changelog of plesk points out that MariaDB 10.0 specifically is supported on Plesk 12.5.

I added the MariaDB repo to /etc/yum.repos.d/mariadb.repo

Followed by yum update. A bunch of library errors displayed. (All pointing to the same mysql library)

So I decided to remove the old mariadb first:

# rpm -e --nodeps mariadb mariadb-server mariadb-libs

(Note that this specific command prevents Plesk from collapsing - compare it to playing Jenga)

I worked with bated breath as I saw the first message from watchdog that MySQL was down (no ****!)

So, let's try to install it, again.

# yum install mariadb mariadb-server mariadb-libs

Okay, that went well... No errors from yum.

# yum update

No errors from yum as well.

Hmm. MariaDB 10.0 is a lot newer than 5.5... Let's do an DB upgrade:

# mysql_upgrade -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

Phew. All went OK. (Heck, I had backups, anyway...)

I restarted the server and all seems OK - no issues encountered so far. Magento 2 works.

So, in this specific way - you keep MariaDB - and if the changelog above is right, this should be a supported configuration. (Hence, MariaDB 10.0 is supported according to that FAQ)

To the Plesk/Odin staff: Please reply and let us know if this is indeed a proper way of doing this. Some official words regarding this would be very, very welcome.

Last edited:
Back