• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upgrade Question

Dene Wilby

Basic Pleskian
Hi all

I'm not new to using Plesk but i'm the nerviest when it comes to making system changes and updates.

I'm running 17.0.17 and have a notification to update to 17.5.3

Is it safe to just INSTALL NOW? Could it affect any of my sites? Everything on my server is just Joomla installations.

Do I need to? Is it like most things that need constant security updates or is it mainly new features etc. etc.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but just need some feedback.

Thanks

Dene

Hi all

I'm not new to using Plesk but i'm the nerviest when it comes to making system changes and updates.

I'm running 17.0.17 and have a notification to update to 17.5.3

Is it safe to just INSTALL NOW? Could it affect any of my sites? Everything on my server is just Joomla installations.

Do I need to? Is it like most things that need constant security updates or is it mainly new features etc. etc.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but just need some feedback.

Thanks

Dene

Hello @Dene Wilby , between 17.0.17 and 17.5.3, you should not have any problem , Plesk will just be unavailable during the upgrade.

Thank you.

One last question.....approximately how long would such an update take? 5 mins? 1 hour?

Thanks again for the reply

So after backing up everything and triple checking I had everything I need I click on INSTALL NOW and it opens another tab on my browser which subsequently just times out.

Sorry to bother but do you have any idea why that might be happening or an alternative method to update?

Thanks

So after backing up everything and triple checking I had everything I need I click on INSTALL NOW and it opens another tab on my browser which subsequently just times out.

Sorry to bother but do you have any idea why that might be happening or an alternative method to update?

Thanks

A backup is a good idea, but if there is any issue, you can use the plesk repair tool via ssh :
Code:
plesk repair all -y

OK, I know I am veering off course with the original post now but i've run the command. A couple of things to note:

1. When logging in i'm concerned that it is reporting that there have been over 200 failed login attempts since I last logged in about an hour ago. Is this excessive and is it something I should be concerned about.

2. There were no errors found or resolved but I had 37 warnings. This corresponds with how many websites/domains I have and it's saying that there are files in the root of each domain that has suspicious file permissions. They are standard Joomla installations and i'm sure the file permissions are exactly as they should be. Is this a known thing that Plesk picks up on?

3. I still cannot run the update. The second tab that opens still times out.

OK, I know I am veering off course with the original post now but i've run the command. A couple of things to note:

1. When logging in i'm concerned that it is reporting that there have been over 200 failed login attempts since I last logged in about an hour ago. Is this excessive and is it something I should be concerned about.

2. There were no errors found or resolved but I had 37 warnings. This corresponds with how many websites/domains I have and it's saying that there are files in the root of each domain that has suspicious file permissions. They are standard Joomla installations and i'm sure the file permissions are exactly as they should be. Is this a known thing that Plesk picks up on?

3. I still cannot run the update. The second tab that opens still times out.
I was not saying it was required to run plesk repair before the upgrade, but it will not break your install.

1) No, it require to change ssh port to avoid bruteforce.

2) file permissions is not a problem

3) you can launch the update via ssh
Code:
plesk installer

1) No, it require to change ssh port to avoid bruteforce.

Sorry, just to clarify, I shouldn't be concerned about that warning?

I tried to update via SSH but it says 'Update operation was locked by another update process'

Maybe it's doing something in the background. I'll try again in a few hours or tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your patience and replies.

Sorry, just to clarify, I shouldn't be concerned about that warning?

I tried to update via SSH but it says 'Update operation was locked by another update process'

Maybe it's doing something in the background. I'll try again in a few hours or tomorrow.

Thanks so much for your patience and replies.

No, if fail2ban is enabled no issue

yes, wait for 30 minutes.

Still not able to perform update or access 'Updates and Upgrades' in Plesk. Earlier today I clicked update for over 200 extensions so maybe it's still working on that in the background? Don't think so though as it says all updates were completed.

In License Management though it says:

Security Core (ModSecurity and Fail2Ban) - On

So I assume i'm OK on the failed logins issue?

Thanks

Still not able to perform update or access 'Updates and Upgrades' in Plesk. Earlier today I clicked update for over 200 extensions so maybe it's still working on that in the background? Don't think so though as it says all updates were completed.

In License Management though it says:

Security Core (ModSecurity and Fail2Ban) - On

So I assume i'm OK on the failed logins issue?

Thanks

No , you should see Fail2ban service in your dashboard and see if jails are enabled :
Screenshot128.png

When you launch an update process , you have to kill it before launching another one

OK, I managed to update to 17.5.3 via SSH and all seems good.

The problem I have now though is that I want to enable fail2ban which I assume is activated via:

Tools & Settings > Plesk > Updates and Upgrades?

Same problem now applies though, I click on that link and in the new tab the page just times out.

So frustrating!!

Dene

Port 8447 is maybe blocked by your firewall or your provider.
But you can do it from the command line.

I struggled with command line installation but you were right about port 8447. Opened that and now all works fine.

I installed Fail2Ban and enabled Instrusion Detection | 600 seconds | 600 seconds | 3

Is that all I need to do?

Thanks for all your help on this. It's helped me understand a lot more about how Plesk works. I appreciate that!

Dene

I struggled with command line installation but you were right about port 8447. Opened that and now all works fine.

I installed Fail2Ban and enabled Instrusion Detection | 600 seconds | 600 seconds | 3

Is that all I need to do?

Thanks for all your help on this. It's helped me understand a lot more about how Plesk works. I appreciate that!

Dene

Enable the jails you want to use with fail2ban.

Back