• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade to 10.4.4 - check-quota filter errors

Guys, just for clarification:

At the moment we have only one bugreport submitted according to request http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=571975&postcount=17

Developers says that it’s a cosmetic – error message persists in the maillog but does not affect message delivery.

Is it really the problem that you want to get fixed (error appearance in maillog)?
Or do you mean some other consequences?
If initial issue is not important for you - please fill in good and full report about annoying consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
My reasons why I want to get it fixed:

1) in general

Cosmetic problem? Hmmm.... I´m not sure.

If there is an error report - there seems to be an action before. This action needs resources.
This action is not needed, because receiver is external and there is no possibility to get a positive result for this check.

2) daily work

Checking logs is part of my daily work. It doesn´t help me if log files have entries that are caused by a so called cosmetic issue. To be honest - with a fine working system there wouldn´t be such a check that couldn´t work by nature.

3) archive & size

For a special reason I have a archive the logfiles for three years. In this special case I´m not allowed to save them as a compressed file. At the moment the cosmetic issue causes about 15 - 20% not needed lines in the logfiles.

4) HIDS

Some servers use OSSEC HIDS. Configurated quite strict. It reports in real time nearly error.

check-quota filter[3591]: Failed to run '/usr/sbin/postalias -q [email protected] hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual', rc = 1

This is an error message and the system alerts responsible person via email.
Guess what happens - email is external and causes directly the same error.
Error = message = error = message = ...

Don´t try to tell me to configurate an exception. To define a rule for an error can´t be the solution.
This reason also interacts with reson 3)!

5) wasn´t before

Problem occured after one of the official MU, before it was ok. Cosmetic problems as a new feauture?

Bug report? Ok, you have one official bug report. And many people answering to it, that they have the same problem.

There was me reminding you that the original question of this thread wasn´t answered - I had to show you the problem again. And now you ask if WE have a problem with cosmetic issues?

May be - but we are your customers.

I pay every month about 120 Euro for licenses. So I think it is ok to ask for a fix that is more than a cosmetic issue.
I think other users think the same.

But only for your official way - my personal bug reports:

-----------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk 10.4.4 MU 23 Debian 6 64bit

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE

send mail to external receiver

check-quota filter[3595]: Failed to run '/usr/sbin/postalias -q [email protected] hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual', rc = 1

ACTUAL RESULT

error message in different logs files

EXPECTED RESULT

no error message

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=619553&postcount=62

Plesk 10.4.4 MU 22 Debian 6 64bit

check-quota filter[22142]: Failed to run '/usr/sbin/postalias -q [email protected] hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual', rc = 1

ACTUAL RESULT

EXPECTED RESULT

no error message

Plesk 10.4.4 MU 20 Debian 6 64bit

check-quota filter[2170]: Failed to run '/usr/sbin/postalias -q [email protected] hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual', rc = 1

ACTUAL RESULT

EXPECTED RESULT

no error message

Plesk 10.4.4 MU 23 Debian 6 32bit

check-quota filter[24530]: Failed to run '/usr/sbin/postalias -q [email protected] hash:/var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual', rc = 1

ACTUAL RESULT

EXPECTED RESULT

no error message

@all: please follow my to give them bug reports!

Checked folder - in my case there are no broken symlinks. File exists.
But would be nice to get informed about needed owner and permissions.

at the moment: r-sr-sr-x popuser

(Waiting for official fix.)

cool 6 month and no fix ... this is fast like Microsoft ^^ oh no Microsoft is faster sorry Bill Gates ;)

Sorry but this is a shame @ Parallels ...

At the moment we are at MU26 and still the same ...

Or have we to wait for Plesk 10.5 ?

Regards
Cheech

Just installed MU#27 and it fixes the check-quota filter issue.

Right. This problem should be fixed after installing MU#27

The problem is not fixed after MU#27

Apr 22 00:05:00 linux08 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[2153]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Apr 22 00:05:00 linux08 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[2153]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler

Versão do Panel10.4.4 Atualizar #27, última atualização em Abril 20, 2012 03:13 AM
O sistema está atualizado; última verificação em Abril 20, 2012 05:12 AM

The problem is not fixed after MU#27

Apr 22 00:05:00 linux08 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[2153]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Apr 22 00:05:00 linux08 /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote[2153]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler

Versão do Panel10.4.4 Atualizar #27, última atualização em Abril 20, 2012 03:13 AM
O sistema está atualizado; última verificação em Abril 20, 2012 05:12 AM

What is OS version you have and what sort of output commands:

# md5sum /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote
# ls -la /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote

Hello Igor and Plesk :)

Still doesnt work for me either :)

Quoted from Nucknucks Earlier Post :) (yes im lazy, but have same problems and he/she wrote it expertly :p) - Steven :p

2) daily work

Checking logs is part of my daily work. It doesn´t help me if log files have entries that are caused by a so called cosmetic issue. To be honest - with a fine working system there wouldn´t be such a check that couldn´t work by nature.

4) HIDS

Some servers use OSSEC HIDS. Configurated quite strict. It reports in real time nearly error.

Quote:

Apr 24 04:01:06 HOST qmail-queue-handlers[11899]: handlers_stderr: fork_execv: execv("/usr/sbin/postalias") failed: No such file or directory SKIP
Apr 24 04:01:06 HOST qmail-queue-handlers[11899]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler
Apr 24 04:01:07 HOST qmail-queue-handlers[11899]: starter: submitter[11902] exited normally

This is an error message and the system alerts responsible person via email.
Guess what happens - email is external and causes directly the same error.
Error = message = error = message = ...

Don´t try to tell me to configurate an exception. To define a rule for an error can´t be the solution.
This reason also interacts with reson 3)!

5) wasn´t before

Problem occured after one of the official MU, before it was ok. Cosmetic problems as a new feauture?

Plesk 10.4.4 MU #27 Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS - Linux 2.6.18-028stab092.1 - x86_64 GNU/Linux

send ANY mail to external receiver

Apr 24 19:00:19 HOST qmail-queue-handlers[22000]: handlers_stderr: fork_execv: execv("/usr/sbin/postalias") failed: No such file or directory SKIP

Also Getting min. 24 - 48 alarm mails an hour from OSSEC Security system (because of error tripping the alarms) -
OSSEC HIDS Notification.
2012 Apr 24 19:00:20

Received From: HOST->/var/log/syslog
Rule: 1002 fired (level 2) -> "Unknown problem somewhere in the system."
Portion of the log(s):

Apr 24 19:00:19 HOST qmail-queue-handlers[22000]: handlers_stderr: fork_execv: execv("/usr/sbin/postalias") failed: No such file or directory SKIP

--END OF NOTIFICATION

ACTUAL RESULT

error message in different logs files + Realtime Security monitering tripping alarms (an emails externally = Loop)

EXPECTED RESULT

no error message

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=208982&page=4

UPDATE:
I have changed the Mailer System from Qmail (Which it was running) to Postfix MTA to see if that creates the error as well... The Postfix MTA though seems to be slower in sending email than Qmail though...

Last edited:
I am still having this problem as well and it is not cosmetic. The server I am using delivers 1000s of emails an hour across some Mailman list serves and this problem is delaying delivery up to 30 minutes. Before the micro update #27 I had no problem what so ever and it would deliver the messages in just a few minutes. Now it takes hours to deliver all the messages.

Here is my server info, and exact error.

Version Parallels Plesk Panel v10.4.4_build1013111102.18 os_CentOS 5
OS Linux 2.6.18-308.1.1.el5

Apr 24 19:01:26 cp3 qmail-queue-handlers[29631]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Apr 24 19:01:26 cp3 qmail-queue-handlers[29631]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler
Apr 24 23:01:26 cp3 postfix/postalias[29939]: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied
Apr 24 19:01:26 cp3 qmail-queue-handlers[29631]: handlers_stderr: postalias: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied

I need this fixed ASAP. With this not working properly clients are getting angry.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how you can disable the check-quota handler until the issue is fixed:
http://blog.blubyte.de/2012/04/upgrade-to-plesk-10-4-4-check-quota-filter-errors
This will get rid of the errors in your log files ;)

In my case I got the error because my /opt/psa/handlers/hooks/check-quota was a broken symlink, don't know where it should point and why it's broken

Sorry for the double post, but I went ahead and just disabled the check as described in the post above and that has cleared up my issue for the time being.

I still would prefer that Plesk fixes the problem, but at least the pressure is off.

Igor, that wasnt my problem atleast... the KB you are referring to, as you are missing an line in that KB to explain fully my error "Apr 24 19:00:19 HOST qmail-queue-handlers[22000]: handlers_stderr: fork_execv: execv("/usr/sbin/postalias") failed: No such file or directory SKIP".

Although it does seem to have disappeared when I now switched from QMAIL MTA to POSTFIX MTA, although that shouldnt matter in the Parallels installation...

There shouldnt be an ""/usr/sbin/postalias"" check at all, when running QMAIL MTA, as that is part of the Postfix Mta package, so please explain why the is an handler call for postfix, when I was using the Qmail MTA... hence why I was getting the error and coupled with the security system tripping the alarms in Syslog and Mail.info logs

It cant be right, that I am forced to use Postfix, when using Parallels Plesk instead of the Qmail I originally had installed. Now for the machine in question, it doesnt matter if I use Postfix or Qmail, but that isnt the core of the matter here... it is, that the call for the handler to do "/usr/sbin/postalias" while Qmail MTA is installed... shouldnt be done.... as seemingly, Postalias wouldnt be installed...

Kind regards,

Steven

Back