• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade to spamassassin 3.1 problem

J

jwdick

Can anyone who has successfully upgrade to spamassassin 3.1 on a RH9 Plesk 7.5.4 box help me with the correct steps to upgrade?

Steps that I had taken:

1. remove SA .263 using yum which also removed qmail-scanner
2. install SA3.1 and qmail-scanner
3. sent test email

Test email headers were blank except for "return-path" and "to";

4. removed SA 3.1 and qmail-scanner
5 reinstalled SA 2.63 thru Plesk CP
6. reconfigured each mailbox to use SA again (took a while to do this)

afterwards, I evaluated where i had gone wrong and I believe it was in NOT removing PSA-spamassassin whick I believe are two different installations.

Since I do not want to have to spend hours going thru the reconfiguration again, I would appreciate any feedback that you can supply.

Thanks

I ran into similar issues. I stuck with 3.0.4, that version upgraded pretty easy.

Originally posted by acidbox
I ran into similar issues. I stuck with 3.0.4, that version upgraded pretty easy.

When using ART's and yum, that version wasn't a choice.

Where did you get the version 3.0.4 rpm from and what were the steps that you went through to upgrade?

Thanks for the reply!

Here's what worked for me on a Centos 4.2 box with Plesk 7.5.4

I uninstalled psa-spamassassin

#rpm -e psa-spamassasin

Then installed ART's Clam AV, Spamassassin and qmail-scanner. Stop spamassassin and then run the configurator

#service spamassassin stop
#/usr/bin/qmail-scanner-reconfigure

Then from the Updater in the control panel install spamassassin support and make sure that only the psa-spamassassin service is running. It should call the proper spamd daemon.

I believe that the mchk utility can help restore the spam settings for each mailbox.by running the command

#/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

Originally posted by phoenixisp

I uninstalled psa-spamassassin

#rpm -e psa-spamassasin

I am embarrassed to say that was what I had intended to do to do, but I uninstalled spamassassin 2.63 instead and left psa-spamassassin installed

Then from the Updater in the control panel install spamassassin support and make sure that only the psa-spamassassin service is running. It should call the proper spamd daemon.

Thanks! I wasn't sure I could install the spamassassin support again. I appreciate the help. I think I'll try it again tonight.

I successfully (somewhat) upgraded to SA 3.1 tonight with the instructions from Phoenixisp. Email headers and body were intact and SA 3.1 was listed in the header. That being said, I have two errors that I could not find explainations for by search this forum. Can someone shed some light on these two errors for me.

After starting the spamassassin service, the following error was noted in the maillog:

Jan 1 22:14:26 klickdomains spamc[1923]: connect(AF_INET) to spamd at 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refus
ed
Jan 1 22:14:27 klickdomains spamc[1923]: connect(AF_INET) to spamd at 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#2 of 3): Connection refus
ed
Jan 1 22:14:28 klickdomains spamc[1923]: connect(AF_INET) to spamd at 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#3 of 3): Connection refus
ed
Jan 1 22:14:29 klickdomains spamc[1923]: connection attempt to spamd aborted after 3 retries
Jan 1 22:14:29 klickdomains spamc[4070]: connect(AF_INET) to spamd at 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refus
ed
Jan 1 22:14:30 klickdomains spamc[4070]: connect(AF_INET) to spamd at 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#2 of 3): Connection refus
ed
Jan 1 22:14:31 klickdomains spamc[4070]: connect(AF_INET) to spamd at 127.0.0.1 failed, retrying (#3 of 3): Connection refus
ed
Jan 1 22:14:32 klickdomains spamc[4070]: connection attempt to spamd aborted after 3 retries
Jan 1 22:14:46 klickdomains spamd[31428]: persistent_udp: no such method at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssass
in/DnsResolver.pm line 99
Jan 1 22:14:46 klickdomains spamd[31428]: logger: removing stderr method
Jan 1 22:14:47 klickdomains spamd[32390]: config: failed to parse line, skipping: rewrite_subject_1
Jan 1 22:14:47 klickdomains spamd[32390]: config: failed to parse line, skipping: subject_tag_*****SPAM*****
Jan 1 22:14:47 klickdomains spamd[32390]: dns: Net::DNS version is 0.31, but need 0.34 at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/M
ail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 589.

After receiving a new message, the following error was noted in the maillog:

bayes: bayes db version 2 is not able to be used, aborting! at /usr/lib/perl5/vend
or_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore/DBM.pm line 195, <GEN7> line 24.

Thanks,

Looks like you need to install a newer version of net:::DNS, a perl module.

To get a better idea of what is wrong run:

#spamassassin -D --lint

This should point out anything missing or configured poorly

Looks like you need to install a newer version of net:::DNS, a perl module.

To get a better idea of what is wrong run:

#spamassassin -D --lint

This should point out anything missing or configured poorly

Ran the command you suggested. Besides Perl-net-dns module being incorrect, I also have
1. Net::LDAP 'not installed'
2. Razor2::Client::Agent 'not installed'
3. Bayes: no dbs present,
4. Razor2 is not available
5. Pyzor is not available
6. DCCifd is not available

I believe these are tied to NET::DNS version being incorrect. I have located the perl-net-dns rpm for version 0.34.

Does any know if installing this version "breaks" anything else on RH9? The last Perl-Net-Dns version that specificaly says for "RH9" is the version 0.31 that I already have installed.

Seeing how it is just a perl module I don't see where it can hurt to update it. On my CentOS box I am at version 0.48. Also install Net::LDAP.

Seeing how it is just a perl module I don't see where it can hurt to update it. On my CentOS box I am at version 0.48. Also install Net::LDAP.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will work on the updates today.

Originally posted by jwdick
Thanks for the quick reply. I will work on the updates today.

Thanks to the suggestions and help from Phoenixisp I now have the updates installed and spamassassin working properly. I couldn't have done it without your help!

What i do is:
rpm -e psa-spamassassin spamassassin-2.63

and then update spamassassin from art
yum install spamassassin

and, install psa-spamassassin
rpm -ivh psa/PSA_7.5.4/rpm_FedoraCore_1/opt/mail/psa-spamassassin-7.5.4-fc1.build75050927.15.i586.rpm

after this, the system try to start psa-spamassassin, but error, the error says.. something like psa-spamassassin only work with spamassassin v2.6 :(

And now i reinstall spamassassin 2.63 from fedore site, all .qmail file is changed, must setup one bye one :(

Do not reinstall psa-spamassassin from rpm, go to the updater in the control panel and install Spamassassin support. Then use the mchk utility to reset all .qmail files.

Unless you really like Dr.Web, I would also recommend removing DrWeb and DrWeb-qmail then using Art's repository installing Clamav, Clamd and Qmail-scanner

Spam emails were reduced by 75 to 80% after I did this.

phoenixisp: tonight i try again,
from shell
rpm -e spamassassin-2.63-0.2 psa-spamassassin-7.5.4-fc1.build75050927.15

from control panel i am update spamassassin support, wait a few minutes, go to server and spamassassin ready to click (enable). What i got is Cannot exec 'spammng start -c': unable to start server.

Back to shell, and hope its work with CLI,
[root@www root]# /etc/init.d/psa-spamassassin status
is stopped
[root@www root]# /etc/init.d/psa-spamassassin start
ERROR! spamassassin script is v3.000004, but using modules v2.64!
Starting psa-spamassassin service: [FAILED]
[root@www root]# /etc/init.d/spamassassin start
Starting spamd: ERROR! spamassassin script is v3.000004, but using modules v2.64!
[FAILED]

Any idea ?

Thanks

From shell:

#service psa-spamassassin stop
#service spamassassin stop

Then go to the control panel and start the Spamassassin service.

Same...still can not running the service :((

[root@www tmp]# service spamassassin status
spamd is stopped
[root@www tmp]# service psa-spamassassin status
is stopped
[root@www tmp]# service psa-spamassassin stop
Shutting down psa-spamassassin service: [ OK ]
[root@www tmp]# service psa-spamassassin status
is stopped
[root@www tmp]# service psa-spamassassin start
ERROR! spamassassin script is v3.000004, but using modules v2.64!
Starting psa-spamassassin service: [FAILED]

I think its enough use v2.6.3 after 4 times uninstall and install :(

Schatje

Back