• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upgrading from Debian 6 to 7 with installed Plesk 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

King555

Regular Pleskian
Upgrading from Debian 6 to 7 with installed Plesk 11.5

I currently use the latest Plesk 11.5 installed in a Debian 6.0.9 x64 environment.

I want to upgrade to Debian 7 shortly and I wonder whether I would experience any problems concerning Plesk during or after upgrading.

Has anyone done this before? Should I disable something in Plesk before upgrading? Will Plesk work after upgrading?

Last edited:
Hi,

actually it is possible.
I've done it many times.
But you have to know your way around Debian and Plesk.

Very very important: You need a full backup in case you fail :)

Basically what you do is:
1. Create Backup
2. Add Plesk Repository to /etc/apt/sources.list
3. Update Debian
4. Remove Plesk Repository from /etc/apt/sources.list
5. If still available use autoinstaller, but better use a fresh Autoinstaller from Parallels site to fix/reinstall Plesk
6. Check dpkg -l | grep ^rc which Packages of Plesk have not been installed and install them by readding Plesk Repos.
7. Run bootstrap Script and fix Plesk

If I remember right, you will also get an error that certain libs are not available, although they are. they are just located in a different place.
I just moved the libs to where they where expected to be an symlinked the directory.

Be aware, this process is tricky and might break everything. So you must know your way around Debian and Plesk.
Please note, that I am not liable for any damage you may cause using these short instructions.

If you want it easy going, do it as Parallels suggests and get a new spare Server.

Regards,
Kristian

Hi,

Thank you very much (although I expected a more positive answer ;)).

how much more positive can it get, if I tell you it's possible? :)
All I'm saying is that it's no task for somebody that has just seen the shell and Debian the first time about 5 minutes ago.

And having a backup is always good :)

If you need any specific help, just PN me.

Regards,
Kristian

I wished something like "Yes, this is possible and you will not expect any problems at all". :D

I will think about it and maybe I will give it a try. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back