• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Uploading a multi-hundred MB file through file manager crashes dedicated server

Nonapeptide

New Pleskian
---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

psa-10.4.4-cos6.build1013111102.18.x86_64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Uploading a 800Megabyte file through the file manager causes the server to crash between 30% and 50% completion.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Upload any large file through a subscription's web based file manager and the server will crash after a few hundred megabytes are sent.

ACTUAL RESULT

Hard crash. Needs physical intervention to reboot.

EXPECTED RESULT

No crashing?

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 800MB .tar file that I am trying to transfer to my dedicated server through the Plesk web interface. The destination server is a dedicated server that has a Quad-Core AMD Opteron Processor 1356, 4GB of RAM and 750GB of hard drive space. Resource constraints do not seem to be the culprit here. The transfer gets between 30% and 50% before the dedicated server crashes. The crash requires a hard reset at the datacenter. There are no telltale signs in /var/log/messages prior to the crash. The log file appears to be uneventful right up to the moment the server crashes.

Is there a known problem with uploading large files through the web interface? I see this thread titled "How can upload big backup files with Backup Manager" that appears to be a similar problem. Is there a workaround? A patch? Bugfix?

Thanks for your time

800Mb is really big size for uploading. I think that problem caused by PHP uploading limits. Look at http://ru2.php.net/ini.core#ini.file-uploads and try to tune your php.ini

Thanks! When looking into PHP's configuration, I see that the maximum uploads is only 2MB. There's also no temp directory. What I find strange is that the upload file is even accepted, given it's large size. Oh well, I'll assume it was a PHP limitation and work through other channels as I don't have the luxury of camping on this problem to solve it.

Back