• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Uploading a multi-hundred MB file through file manager crashes dedicated server

Nonapeptide

New Pleskian
---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

psa-10.4.4-cos6.build1013111102.18.x86_64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Uploading a 800Megabyte file through the file manager causes the server to crash between 30% and 50% completion.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Upload any large file through a subscription's web based file manager and the server will crash after a few hundred megabytes are sent.

ACTUAL RESULT

Hard crash. Needs physical intervention to reboot.

EXPECTED RESULT

No crashing?

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 800MB .tar file that I am trying to transfer to my dedicated server through the Plesk web interface. The destination server is a dedicated server that has a Quad-Core AMD Opteron Processor 1356, 4GB of RAM and 750GB of hard drive space. Resource constraints do not seem to be the culprit here. The transfer gets between 30% and 50% before the dedicated server crashes. The crash requires a hard reset at the datacenter. There are no telltale signs in /var/log/messages prior to the crash. The log file appears to be uneventful right up to the moment the server crashes.

Is there a known problem with uploading large files through the web interface? I see this thread titled "How can upload big backup files with Backup Manager" that appears to be a similar problem. Is there a workaround? A patch? Bugfix?

Thanks for your time

800Mb is really big size for uploading. I think that problem caused by PHP uploading limits. Look at http://ru2.php.net/ini.core#ini.file-uploads and try to tune your php.ini

Thanks! When looking into PHP's configuration, I see that the maximum uploads is only 2MB. There's also no temp directory. What I find strange is that the upload file is even accepted, given it's large size. Oh well, I'll assume it was a PHP limitation and work through other channels as I don't have the luxury of camping on this problem to solve it.

Back