• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Upload of a large file freezes mid-upload without any error log entry

PeterK900

Basic Pleskian
I can upload a 200mb file to one Plesk (Unix) Server but not to another, very similarly configured and with the same host. The upload stops anywhere between 5 and 50%. There are no error log entries. Smaller files (20mb) usually work. However when I use a mobile WIFI connection (different IP address) the upload works every time.

Earlier today I was having problems in uploading any file to this server via ftp with FileZilla log entries including many occurrences of:
Error: Connection closed by server
Error: Could not connect to server

but these have gone away and I can now ftp large files to the problem server.

This server is unmanaged and therefore hosting company support is very limited. They suggested it is an IP address problem, because it goes away with another IP address but have offered no suggestions on what can be done to solve the problem for our main IP address. A few days ago I could manage to upload 200mb files but only if the server connection was not interrupted. Editing /etc/proftpd.conf to set AllowStoreRestart On stopped the message.

The server timeout is 60mins - more than long enough for the large files.

I'm not sure where to go with this. The fact that:
  • the failed uploads actually start,
  • our earlier FTP problems have mysteriously gone away, and
  • another server with the same host exhibits none of these problems
makes me think it could be a hosting configuration/traffic issue but I'm really clutching at straws! Any suggestions on where to look to track down this problem would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Is the IP of the uploader listed in the Fail2Ban block list (or iptables) when the issue occurs?

ly
Attach files

Similar threads​

S
Issue ftp very slow can't upload and disconnect
Replies1Views203
Nov 8, 2021
Nik G
N
M
Resolved NextCloud, WebDAV, upload errors for large files
Replies2Views2K
Aug 21, 2020
MicheleB
M
L
Issue Being logged out of Plesk after nearly every page (error 400)
Replies1Views318
Oct 3, 2021
Peter Debik
[IMG alt="Peter Debik"]https://talk.plesk.com/data/avatars/s/173/173885.jpg?1487636304[/IMG]
C
Issue Plesk operations with cURL fail
Replies1Views1K
May 18, 2021
Nik G
N
C
Issue Plesk operations with cURL fail
Replies3Views963
Jan 24, 2021
Chris Dempsey
C
Share:
FacebookRedditTumblrWhatsAppEmailLink
  • Forums
  • Plesk Discussion
  • Plesk Obsidian for Linux
  • Industry
    Partners​

• Automattic
  • Docker
  • Virtuozzo
  • Amazon
  • Microsoft
  • Microsoft Azure
  • red-hat.svg
  • Alibaba Cloud
Plesk
Follow us:
COMPANY
PRODUCT
KNOWLEDGE BASE
PROGRAMS
COMMUNITY
© 2021 Plesk International GmbH. All rights reserved. Plesk and the Plesk logo are trademarks of Plesk International GmbH.
Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-2021 XenForo Ltd.

Is the IP of the uploader listed in the Fail2Ban block list (or iptables) when the issue occurs?
Thanks. No it isn't. Nor is it in the Trusted IP's. I've added the ip address from which the stalling uploads are connected and I'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Just for completeness the Plesk version for the problem server and the other server with no problems is:
Plesk Obsidian Web Host Edition
Version 18.0.39 Update #2

And further testing reveals that a typical FTP 200MB file causes 2 restarts, which are now handled OK. But the mobile wifi connection is much faster (and robust?), so it never causes any restarts and this, I think is why a Plesk upload always works with this connection. It looks to me as though, despite setting AllowStoreRestart to ON, Plesk uploads still cannot handle connection interruptions. Maybe adding the ip address to trusted will solve this.

Thanks for your quick response on this.

ly
Attach files