• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Use of "&" in email address

F

faris

We have a customer being blasted to hell and back by spammers because they have been using a true catchall address, and so were catching all the email sent to non-existant addresses on their domain. They were using up 10Gigs of transfer per month because of all this.

I've forced them to switch to having one pop3 mailbox with aliases for each address they really want.

This is fine except they have been advertising an email address of x&[email protected]

Plesk won't allow an alias to be created with an "&" in the address. In fact I've never seen an & in an email address ever, so I assume that like most punctuation it is not allowed.

I'm wondering if I can manually add it somehow, without breaking things? I can't figureout how though. I thought I could do something with the .qmail file but that doesn't work.

Apparently Exchange supports "&" in the address.

Faris.

Well, I sort of got around it by creating a mailname in Plesk (xandy) then renaming /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/xandy to x&y at the command prompt. This works perfectly.

But of course this isn't a good idea. The Plesk database still thinks it is "xandy", and I hate to think of the problems it will cause the next time we try and do a Plesk update.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Faris.

Back