• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

user email password

N

noeaw

I have recently upgraded to 8.3 (not sure if that is the problem) but now - no combination of letters/numbers is accepted when setting up new email account. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony

I dont know anything about your system, and if you dont either then hopefully this will be a quick tutorial.

Find out where the file containing your plesk settings is - this contains all the directories where stuff is

Code:
locate psa.conf

This is usally /etc/psa/psa.conf

Then find out where your product root is ( often refered to as PRODUCT_ROOT_D - and named such in the config file)
Code:
grep 'PRODUCT_ROOT_D' /etc/psa/psa.conf
PRODUCT_ROOT_D /usr/local/psa
usually /usr/local/psa

Then go into there, and find the logs directory under admin
/usr/local/psa/admin/logs/

Then look through those logs - probably the error logs would help more, but any of them could be of assistance depending on your problem.

if you get real familiar with your config files it will definately help you when things go sour.

Thanks - that got me to the logs - however - and am way too ignorant to know what to look for. Any idea?

Try this:

Code:
tail -f /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/httpsd_error_log

This will give you a real time read out of the log file, and will not give you back a prompt. Remember where the log file ended at, and then try your email thing again. Thencome back to that screen and see if anything got logged to the screen.

If it did, and its not another user (if you have a busy panel this may give you false positives) then you can get a start on it there.

thanks - when i try entering a new user - I get this
[Tue Jan 8 21:11:59 2008] [Plesk] ::init
[Tue Jan 8 21:11:59 2008] [Plesk] sesion type is
[Tue Jan 8 21:11:59 2008] [Plesk] Checking session type 1

and i get the following error via control panel:
Error: Unable to update the mail account properties:
The password is incorrect, use at least 5 characters. The password should not contain mail account name as its part.
Only Latin characters, no dictionary words (optional).

put when I enter no password - the control panel excepts it and the following happens via log:
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'cur'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry '..'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry '.'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'tmp'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'new'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:209:done reading Maildir folder
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'maildirsize'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'cur'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry '..'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry '.'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'tmp'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:182:dir entry 'new'
(trace)maildirpp_usage.c:209:done reading Maildir folder
[Tue Jan 8 21:16:07 2008] [Plesk] ::init
[Tue Jan 8 21:16:07 2008] [Plesk] sesion type is
[Tue Jan 8 21:16:07 2008] [Plesk] Checking session type 1

Do you have "Check the passwords for mailboxes in the dictionary" and(or) "Use of short (webmaster) and full ([email protected]) POP3/IMAP mail account names is allowed" options turned on? (on Server->Mail page)

If yes, try to play with it.

i tried toggleing the password/dictionary option and then I started getting a error/popup "unable to allow the use of short mail account names for POP3/IMAP accounts. There are mail accounts matching the encrypted passwords" without toggling the short/full option and I cannot set it back to short. Obviously all email account accessing with short name are not working. Any Ideas?

Such problem happens when the password of one of two/several identical mail accounts is stored in Plesk database in encrypted view. As it is encrypted, Plesk cannot compare passwords and make sure that passwords are NOT identical. That is why Plesk does not allow to switch back from 'full' to 'short' mode and does not accept any password if you have 'short' mode set.

The solutions are:
- either continue 'full' mode usage
- or find encrypted passwords and change them through Plesk GUI (they will be saved in plain-text view in Plesk base). For example, to get the list of mail accounts and their passwords, you can use the following command:
# mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` -Dpsa -e"select m.mail_name, d.name, a.type, a.password from domains d, mail m, accounts a where m.dom_id = d.id and m.account_id = a.id"

Back