• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Using two sets of raid disks on plesk to gain performance

yehudigt

Basic Pleskian
I was wondering if it would be a good practice to install plesk with two hard disks (2 raid sets / 4 disks) to increase performance and let mysql read/write on one raid and sites on the other.
My idea was to use a raid of two ssds in /var/lib (and let mysql and elasticsearch work on this partition) and the rest of the server rely on the hdd sata.
Do you think this would be a good setup to gain performance?

In case do you have any suggestions on how to set this up? Should this be done during instllation or shall I mount the second set later?

Thank you.

Running Plesk and Elasticsearch on the same server is initially not a good setup for high Plesk performance...

Hi Igor, iI know you are a very skilled professional and have used your suggestions more than once, but in my experience I must say that elasticsearch worked very well with plesk. I used it on a plesk server hosting an e-commerce website built with prestashop, to replace the built in search engine. The search performance in terms of speed compared to mysql queries is blazing fast! Elasticsearch can index more than 30000 products in a few minutes, while the built in algorithm was very slow. The load doesn't seem to impact the server's performance and search results are more relevant.
Let's take apart elasticsearch, I think that also mysql would gain perfomance with an ssd due to higher IOPS, do you think that what I said would be a good setup for performance? Do you have any suggestions on how to set this up?

Hi Igor, iI know you are a very skilled professional and have used your suggestions more than once, but in my experience I must say that elasticsearch worked very well with plesk. I used it on a plesk server hosting an e-commerce website built with prestashop, to replace the built in search engine. The search performance in terms of speed compared to mysql queries is blazing fast! Elasticsearch can index more than 30000 products in a few minutes, while the built in algorithm was very slow. The load doesn't seem to impact the server's performance and search results are more relevant.
Let's take apart elasticsearch, I think that also mysql would gain perfomance with an ssd due to higher IOPS, do you think that what I said would be a good setup for performance? Do you have any suggestions on how to set this up?
Hello, sorry to hijack your thread.
I would like to ask if can you share which module and setting did you use for elasticsearch on PS?
I'm currently trying the 2 modules available on addons but i've not been able to reproduce the same quality of results as services as Doofinder and similar.
Care to share your ES config and PS settings?
Thanks

Hi Matrix,
I developped it on my own. Those modules are a good start point but if you don't customize them you won't get good results. It's not a matter of configuration and settings, it's a matter of indexing and queries built on elasticsearch. The documentation on ES site is a good start point, but you need to test according to your needs.

I must say that elasticsearch worked very well with plesk
I also worked quite a lot with ElasticSearch and I know all its advantages very well. But the fact that it works in Java environment and therefore is very demanding on the amount of RAM leads me to think that it would be much more efficient and safer to use it on a separate server, or even better on a cluster :)

Back