• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Virtuozzo Linux (VZLinux) 8 - Supported OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the lack of updates / responses here from Plesk, we can only confirm that Plesk does not care. Hence, what I said several weeks ago. ;-)

By the way; the only thing Plesk does care about is increasing their pricing (again) in 2022. And why is that?
Well let me quote something from their page Pricing Adjustment 2022 here:

We are adjusting our prices to ensure that we can continue to invest heavily in product development and grow our partner ecosystem. Furthermore, we are planning to launch even more new solutions to support our journey in becoming the leader in server, web infrastructure, and WordPress automation solutions.

<snip>

We strive to deliver the best tools available on the market to our customers. Over the last 12 months, we’ve continued to listen and to deliver many critical features and capabilities...

<snip>

We heavily invest in research and gathering feedback from you and your customers to help us grow and improve based on your specific needs.
Additionally, we hear from you daily via our 24/7 support service. There is nothing more important to us than your continued success with Plesk.

Guess that does not include VzLinux 8 and other RHEL 8 based distro's? Or wait... Are we paying for that?
Oh well... Maybe it's get added some day, week, month or year...

Yep, just saw that yesterday, too many CentOS/RedHat forks out there for their own good imho. At least with vzlinux it will live as long as VZ lives...

It's just half of the truth ;)

If we consider an in-place upgrade for base OS installation, yes it works. But in a fact, even AlmaLinux needed to spend additional efforts to support upgrade with Plesk installed. The same is actual for any 3rd party package/repo.
Our colleagues from cPanel have already observed an experience with an in-place upgrade from CentOS 7 to VzLinux 8 and it works for base OS installation, but it still works unstable when 3rd party packages are installed.
Recently we've added pre-check and pre-upgrade hooks to the vzupgrade tool.
This provides Plesk and other 3rd party packages a possibility to perform custom actions before upgrade.

vzupgrade/Readme.md at vz7_to_vz8 · vzlinux/vzupgrade

Pre-check and pre-upgrade hooks

The tool supports launching custom scripts before the check and before the upgrade phases. All executable files found inside the /usr/share/vzupgrade/pre-check folder will be launched just before the check, and all executable files found inside the /usr/share/vzupgrade/pre-install folder will be launched just before the upgrade stage starts.
Note that we don't expect these custom scripts to print anything on the screen. They should use their own log files if needed.
Also make sure that it is possible that user will launch 'check' or 'install' multiple times. The custom scripts should be ready for this.

It's really a shame that Plesk has left us out in the rain for so long. We have corresponding inquiries from our customers and at the moment we can't really do much other than put them off ...

As one can see from @anna.severinko posting, Virtuozzo would endeavor to provide Plesk with all the tools it needs in order to achieve a correspondingly supported integration ...

Guys,
AlmaLinux is supported,
RockyLinux support to be released early in Q1 2022
We supported VZLinux 7, but no one used it (about 0%), according to our statistics. Thus, we have no plans to support VZLinux 8

Hallor @IgorG,
I would have already explained the reason why this is so a few months ago ... Input - Virtuozzo Linux (VZLinux) 8 - Supported OS ... (with @korsar answer: Input - Virtuozzo Linux (VZLinux) 8 - Supported OS)

We haven't used VZLinux (or any other RHEL binary clone) either - because CENTOS was standard and almost every host on this earth has either used RHEL directly or as a free alternative CENTOS ...

Now that Centos has become more or less uninteresting for hosting providers due to their changes, you have to use appropriate alternatives.

And it is precisely here that VZLinux is best, as one can assume that it is in Virtuozzo's best interests to keep the VZLinux Edition up-to-date and to keep it freely available. Already because Virtuozzo uses VZLinux himself ...

With other distributions such as Alma Linux, you are dependent on a group of volunteers to ensure that the corresponding packages, security items, new versions, ... are promptly compiled under their label. And when the volunteers get tired of investing their time in the project after a few years, we're back to the beginning ...

In short, we need a long-term perspective (hey - we are Hosting Providers - we make our living out of this ...) with regard to the operating system which we have running under VIRTUOZZO and which can deploy our Plesk instances on it.

It is really more than just frustrating that Plesk is so opposed to this, especially where it is clear "why" VZLinux (or other clones) have so far been used so little ...

disappointed greetings from Austria
Andreas S.

@futureweb I wonder why you believe in the reliability and durability of solutions from Virtuozzo and refuse this no less respectable and respected CloudLinux company and their distribution AlmaLinux with the declared guaranteed support until 2029? Why do you call the developers of a reputable company some kind of volunteers?

@IgorG - so that is relatively easy to explain - We have been using Virtuozzo products (at that time still SWsoft) for almost 20 years - we also use numerous other Virtuozzo software which are now independent companies ... PLESK for example ... ;-)

Regarding CloudLinux & AlmaLinux - if you take a closer look at CloudLinux you will notice that CloudLinux is based on the OpenVZ kernel - which in turn comes from VIRTUOZZO ... seems like they just know what good quality is ;-)

As for AlmaLinux - this is no longer published by CloudLinux but by the spin-off AlmaLinux OS Foundation.

In addition, I didn't say that I think AlmaLinux is bad or "not respected" ... only I trust a company that has been in use for almost 20 years simply more ... the same way I trust(ed???) Plesk molre than other Admin Panel manufacturers ...

And why do I call them "volunteers"? As I understood it because it is that way -> The AlmaLinux OS Foundation | AlmaLinux Wiki or am I overlooking dozens of permanent employees somewhere who are involved in the product to take care of?

Anyway ... this discussion does not bring anything to anyone ... neither you nor your users who would like to switch from CENTOS 7 to VZLinux 7/8 ...

Above all, claiming not to support it because nobody has used VZLinux 7 for Plesk is sad when the reason is obvious why it is so ...

Hi there,
I wanted to know if there is anything new about this?

I am supposed to set up a new shared hosting server under Virtuozzo with Plesk for one of our customers and would like to use VZLINUX 8 for this, as for all our other servers, because I would not like to use a new OS only for Plesk.

All of our procedures / automations / monitoring / automatic update scripts / update checks / checks / etc. are designed / in place for VZLINUX 7/8.

Thank you
CO

Dead topic. Plesk does not care... Otherwise they would have responded after more than a month since the previous reply.

I wanted to know if there is anything new about this?
Sorry, but we have no plans to support VzLinux 8.
We have added support for AlmaLinux and RockyLinux, please consider using those distributions.

Sorry, but we have no plans to support VzLinux 8.
We have added support for AlmaLinux and RockyLinux, please consider using those distributions.

Very sad news and kinda pathetic to be honest as well. We got a new price increase this year, because and I quote:
We are adjusting our prices to ensure that we can continue to invest heavily in product development and grow our partner ecosystem.

and:
We heavily invest in research and gathering feedback from you and your customers to help us grow and improve based on your specific needs.

Obviously those were all lies! Because we get a price increase (after price increase) and according to their price hike FAQ it's for the above. So we can expect Vzlinux 8.x support right? Oh wait... That's not supported. Okay. So the product, as in Plesk, is not getting better at all. So why are we getting a price increase then?

Better Plesk experience in general? Plesk becoming faster and increasing website performance? No, no.... Just Oakley Capital wanting more money.
I expect a new price increase for 2023! Maybe... Just maybe, the yet-another-price-hike-by-Plesk will be delayed till 2024. But I doubt that.

In the meantime we are cutting down on licenses. So far we are down by almost 40 licenses. Also more and more of our (server) customers are ordering the other alternative. Ofcourse I will not mention the brand, otherwise IgorG will get a bit anxious/tense again. But keep in mind that IgorG is under a lot of stress. ;-)

* takes screenshot of my post before some tends to delete it *

@HHawk - to be fair ...
I'm pretty sure that IgorG is not responsible for what features are implemented in Plesk or not ... and he is usually one of the very good sources of information in the Boards and tries to help where he can... ;-)

Here you will probably have to blame the management or the product managers ...
... but I have to admit that lately I've been more and more "disappointed" by the decisions made by Plesk ...

Unfortunately, there is currently too much stress for us ... but when it gets a little quieter again, I will carry out appropriate test beds with other Mgmt tools ... unfortunately it will probably be time to question again in which direction & with which partners the own company should be further developed ... a question that we haven't asked ourselves in relation to this topic for a very long time ... maybe too long ... ‍:rolleyes:

@futureweb where, and I ask you again, where do I state that IgorG takes blame for this? Please quote me on that. Because apparently you are seeing stuff which are not there!

I only mentioned IgorG as he wanted to ban me last time, when I "complained" about what is going on with Plesk and such. And the lack of getting the best promised experience with Plesk.

But thank you for "valuable" input as always.

But keep in mind that IgorG is under a lot of stress.
I am completely calm, but I just want to warn you that by going personal, you are approaching the red line, followed by a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back