• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question VPS and IP question

Quinten

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.50 Update #2
Hello,

I have a question regarding Plesk and my VPS.
First il explain the current situation:

Right now this server is a VPS we bought which came with a Primary IP, we decided not to use that IP and put the VPS behind a virtual firewall
and give it a new Public IP.
All of the websites are now on that Public IP we bought.
Now we want to get rid of the virtual firewall in between (to use the VPS firewall and the Plesk firewall instead but that’s beside the point) and put everything on the Primary IP that the machine got from our provider.
So far I have added the Primary IP to Plesk and have put the hosting of 1 website to test from the old IP to the new IP.

1676629895577.png

The A record automatically gets updated so that’s ok.
But when i browse to the website i get the Plesk default page.
I have also requested and renewed the certificate of course.

Any help or info on this matter would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Quinten

Hi! Is it possible that the packets sent to the new IP address still go through the virtual firewall and get routed through the old private IP address?

In our current configuration templates on Linux we bind virtual hosts to their respective IP addresses, meaning that if we have received a request designated for IP address 10.0.2.32 and vhost has binding to the 10.0.0.41, it will be processed by the default virtual host on 10.0.2.32, not by the website.

If you are not sure how packets are routed, you can check if this domain is referenced in /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log (/var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log). In case it is, then you are receiving default page because of the IP mismatch as stated above.

Hi! Is it possible that the packets sent to the new IP address still go through the virtual firewall and get routed through the old private IP address?

In our current configuration templates on Linux we bind virtual hosts to their respective IP addresses, meaning that if we have received a request designated for IP address 10.0.2.32 and vhost has binding to the 10.0.0.41, it will be processed by the default virtual host on 10.0.2.32, not by the website.

If you are not sure how packets are routed, you can check if this domain is referenced in /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log (/var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log). In case it is, then you are receiving default page because of the IP mismatch as stated above.
Hi thank you for your reply.
I cant find the test website in question in the logs but i do find both IP's

1676641286252.png

So is what i am asking even possible?
that the files and websites that are on the server are reachable through either IP untill i moved everything to the new?

What kind of firewall are you using? It's possible that the firewall is stripping away the important part (providing the domain name to allow the virtual host to know which site to present itself).

It's also possible that the private IP you're routing to is wrong, since the private IP address must match the public IP address you have set when you've updated the IP addresses within Plesk.

What kind of firewall are you using? It's possible that the firewall is stripping away the important part (providing the domain name to allow the virtual host to know which site to present itself).

It's also possible that the private IP you're routing to is wrong, since the private IP address must match the public IP address you have set when you've updated the IP addresses within Plesk.
Hey thanks for the reply!
It is just a Virtual firewall wich has some rules setup but i just noticed that they are all setup on the local ip (orange)
I should probably duplicate all rules and set them on the new ip aka the Primary IP?
1676876988167.png
Also to clarify my first picture a bit
Orange:
local ip / gateway bought ip
primary ip / gateway primary ip

1676629895577-png.22683

Im not that familiar with networking so maybe i am doing something wrong here?
Help would be appriciated

Hi,

I am sorry I do not really understand your current configuration.

You have two IPs:
Domain points to A.A.A.A
A.A.A.A is the IP of the virutal firewall
B.B.B.B is the IP of the plesk host

Correct?

Hi,

I am sorry I do not really understand your current configuration.

You have two IPs:
Domain points to A.A.A.A
A.A.A.A is the IP of the virutal firewall
B.B.B.B is the IP of the plesk host

Correct?
Current configuration:
The VPS is in a virtual privatenetwork and behind a virtual firewall wich then we bought an IP on aka IP A.A.A.A
So in Plesk right now we have it setup that Local ip/Gateway and then public ip A.A.A.A
Now our VPS came with its " primary ip" aka B.B.B.B

1676878182750.png

Now we want to move away from the privatenetwork and also the pfsense router/firewall we pay for.
So i thought maybe it is possible to add this primary ip aka B.B.B.B to plesk and then move all websites to that IP and then cancel the firewall and ip we pay for aka the A.A.A.A

We use TransIP as our provider and the virtual router is a pfsense.

Ah, I see. I just did this a few weeks ago for a customer.

There is no official way in plesk to switch the primary IP. So if you want a clean setup, the only chance is, to change your database manually and force the reconfiguration on your server. It is hard to explain without seeing in detail whats happening, but as said, I just did this for a customer.

Can you send me the output of a „ifconfig“ and a screenshot of your „IP configuration screen“ (within Plesk) via direct message?

Thx,
Manni

So you're using pfSense. I'm guessing your provider has assigned you a block of IPs to use?

I'm going to go out on the limb and say that you're probably using something like AWS or Azure, right? Or something else? Because depending on how the current set up is it could be very easy or very hard. In either case you would need to have some sort of plan to have a connection to the server before and after breaking off the firewall and routing traffic directly to the web server but without all the details it's hard to give you detail instructions how.

@scsa20: I think he is using a cloud provider and has a optional pfSense.
So I guess he‘s has to get rid of the private IP (10…. or 192…. or 172….) from the VPS and has to reconfigure on the public IP.

If I understood it correctly, a public IP is assigned to the VPS and the pfSense is only for another route/IP.

Correct i am using TransIP as a cloud provider , they offer VPS and Vfirewalls so the machine with local ip 10. is now running on public ip A.A.A.A
And i slowly want to move to the "primary ip" aka B.B.B.B wich came standard with the VPS and move away from the bought A.A.A.A ip

The bought A.A.A.A IP is assigned to the machine but all Vfirewall rules are on the local 10. ip.
I have now enabled the VPS firewall itself and put all the same ports as on the vfirewall open but does not seem to do anything.
I thought maybe because 443 wasnt open / on on the machine / control panel of transip itself but my thought process might be wrong

Back