• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Watchdog wdcollect SMTP error

selinrv

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.6 (Ootpa)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.63 Update #4
Hi everyone,
I'm having consts issue with watchdog, as the alert email (for example for when Apache is down) is not being send with following errors:
SMTP server refused receiving e-mail with subject 'Web Server (Apache) on ____ is down', the e-mail is discarded.
SMTP server error: '530-5.7.0 About SMTP error messages - Google Workspace Admin Help and review RFC 3207'
Trying to send using another server.
Connection to SMTP server has been closed.
SMTP server error: '530-5.7.0 About SMTP error messages - Google Workspace Admin Help and review RFC 3207'
Failed to connect to all SMTP servers.
Trying to send using another server.

And it keeps looping for a long time. But on the other hand, daily emails are being sent fine with the email that was setup in the watchdog settings.

What might be the problem with SMTP server here and how can it be fixed?

Hey @selinrv could you please confirm if the email account in question utilizes the local mail service or a third-party one? As far as I can see the error code indicates authentication issue with Google.

Hey @selinrv could you please confirm if the email account in question utilizes the local mail service or a third-party one? As far as I can see the error code indicates authentication issue with Google.
Hi
Yes, i'm using google email and google smtp. But this email setup works fine for daily emails of watchdog sumary, they are being sent constantly without any problem. Only alerts has this issue.

Thank you for the confirmation. There is a hardcoded value present in /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter defining the email address:
MAIL_FROM="watchdog@${HOST_NAME_FULL}"
I do believe this is most likely causing the issue in your case as the address is different and the SMTP server fails to authenticate it. Still, I am not 100% sure and it might be a good idea to double-check the case with our support team.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in case my assumption is correct and that's the reason for the issue you are experiencing, this behavior is identified as a bug with ID PPPM-7575 and we will improve it in one of the feature releases.

Thank you for the confirmation. There is a hardcoded value present in /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter defining the email address:

I do believe this is most likely causing the issue in your case as the address is different and the SMTP server fails to authenticate it. Still, I am not 100% sure and it might be a good idea to double-check the case with our support team.
Thank you for the information!
What if i try to change that line to the same email i'm using for daily emails, could that probably help?

You can change the value manually. Before you do that, please make sure to create a backup of the /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter file, just in case.

Back