• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

web.config file keeps changing

S

snyhof

I have not figured out yet why the web.config files inside the httpdocs folder continue to change. About once a week I get a complaint that the feedback forms are not working. When I go back into the web.config file, my settings change back from what I manually set it to.

Defaults to:

<mailSettings>
<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="[email protected]">
<network host="smtpout.secureserver.net" port="25" defaultCredentials="false" userName="[email protected]" password="******" />
</smtp>
</mailSettings>

Changed to:

<mailSettings>
<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="[email protected]">
<network host="localhost" port="25" defaultCredentials="false" userName="[email protected]" password="******" />
</smtp>
</mailSettings>

---------------------------------------

When I first setup Plesk, I set the SMTP to smtpout.secureserver.net - Later I set it to localhost, but it does not make any difference when I make a new account.

Newbie here too

I am also having severe problems with sitebuilder. My license expires in one month and it has never worked.
I have a renewal or expiration coming soon... Is there anyone out there that is satisified with sitebuilder and if so how did you get it to work.
I just do not think it is fair or ethical ...

Sitebuilder is the best thing going. I may complain a little because of support. I understand that it costs plenty to provide support. It takes people like us buying products to provide resources to allow support. I am even happy to pay support. However, I know I am not without a brain and therefore, I know Plesk and SB have their issues as I believe there are still bugs that need to be worked out, so I am unwilling to pay to have them fix their own problems. That said, I may need to if I want to get this all working, because I have too much invested to give up because I am not willing to pay. Nevertheless, I still have a problem with support requiring us to pay for bugs.

I have posted elsewhere where I have suggested a way for SwSoft to work their support. Another way would be (especially sense things are still being worked out) is to extend the 30 days of support to 6 months. Then they would have happier customers who would be willing to pay for help after that.

Once all the bugs are sorted out and everyone working with SB is doing fine, lower it back down to 60 days. It takes 60 days just to learn everything.

SValencia, please be patient, if this is your first post, then you still have a ways to go just to understand what SB is all about. As you move forward, you will find SB to be a very robust system that will perform very nicely. I am sure as we work through the bugs, that new updates or moving to SB 5.x many of these things will work themselves out.

I have searched for many months and tried other similar systems. There is nothing even close to what SB offers. I strongly suggest you use it with Plesk 8.2.0 or higher though, or you will have problems. Please search this site and spend some time reading, you will get there :)

I have not figured out yet why the web.config files inside the httpdocs folder continue to change. About once a week I get a complaint that the feedback forms are not working. When I go back into the web.config file, my settings change back from what I manually set it to.

Steve, if httpdocs is parent folder of published site - don't change manually web.config. Every republish will rewrite mail settings with site's Host mail settings. Change them.

I thought about that but do not know what my host default files are. Would it be the files in the Default Web Site in my IIS? I see the file web.config file inside the "mssql" folder. Is that it?

I can not change the file in the IIS area. I also see C:\Inetpub\vhosts\sqladmin\mssql that is a web.config file. Is this it? There is very little code in the file. Not sure what to do, and help and direction please?

Also, can I add my own files here, so that when I make a new site, my files would be added as well?

I mean Sitebuilder Host entity (that stores in Sitebuilder database), that contains site's publishing settings. It also has smtp settings, and when site gets published with some Host settings, its smtp settings gets copied to site's smtp section in web.config.

Can you be more specific. Where do I go to look at this file/database?

Steve, if httpdocs is parent folder of published site - don't change manually web.config. Every republish will rewrite mail settings with site's Host mail settings. Change them.

Back to this.
I have changed them on the server to localhost. But after I put in my other setting it has stuck. Even though it says localhost, it continues to put smtpout.secureserver.net into the web.config file. This is a setting I setup when I first installed SB. Then I changed it to localhost which works and users forms work.

I do not know where it is getting these old settings from.

Every time I create a new site, the settings I setup for my mail host are applied into the web.config file (smtpout.secureserver.net). Even after I changed these settings on the server to "localhost".

So what you are saying is that every time the site is published the settings are reset. So now I have clients that are complaining all the time because their mail on the contact form does not work, and the publishing settings are also changing somehow back to the defaults .../site/ and .../sitebuilder/ folders behind the domain name and httpdocs folder. This is really getting old to have to maintain all these changing settings all the time. And have clients that are loosing faith in my system and services.

They are not says... "Steve, can see what is happening with my email?" No, now I am hearing, "My mail does not work again, fix it now..."

I have been extremely patient with all of this - extremely patient. I have supported your company and still believe SB is the best system of this kind available. But, if I am not going to receive support, other than to discuss topics here while the months pass, then I am not quite to happy anymore.

I did just send in a request for support on another issue, looking for the developers bug email address. However, my laptop was reformatted a month ago and I lost my key. Your form did not let me submit a request without the key, so I have to submit to sales. This will be interesting.

Sorry for the late - I was busy delivering new SDK version. About support - I'll redirect your feedback to appropriate manager, thank you.
Back to mail settings. When site get creates Sitebuilder uses following settings to write into preview site's web.config: Admin panel -> Server -> SMTP Server Settings. When site gets published Sitebuilder writes following smtp settings to published site's web.config: Admin panel -> Server -> Hosts -> [Host where given site gets published] -> SMTP Settings.

Hi Alex,
Sorry for the trouble. I went to my Server > SMTP Server Settings...

SMTP Server Host: localhost
SMTP Server Port: 25
SMTP Server from address: [email protected]
The SMPT Server Host use to be set to "smtpout.secureserver.net"
which is the SMTP setting for [email protected] setup at godaddy.com.
The only thing I changed (because my web site forms were not working) based on some instruction here in the forum or through support was to change the setting to "localhost".
This did work and my forms now work on my clients web sites. However, the web.config file keeps changing back to "smtpout.secureserver.net" which is not set anywhere anymore. It does not exists anywhere, yet it keeps coming back. This is my problem.
My settings are ok and working, but something keeps changing it back somehow even though it isn't there.

Let me ask you this...
sense my setting is set to localhost, should my other settings be different?

Steve,
1. In the Admin panel go to the site, that has such problem and check what Host is used in site's publishing settings.
2. Then go to the Admin panel -> Server -> Hosts -> [problem site's Host] -> SMTP Settings. Does it have "smtpout.secureserver.net" value for SMTP server?

Thank you very much! Yes that was it. smtpout.secureserver.net was still in there. I set it to localhost, but didn't change the from address which is [email protected] or my login, is that ok?

"From address" is used when site sends mails. So it will look like mail are sent from your address. Don't know if it's ok for you :) May be you need to put there robot@[site-domain] or something like that

Back