• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs web.config parsing errors

Fredrik Svensson

New Pleskian
TITLE:
web.config parsing errors
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Obsidian RC4,Windows Server 2019, ASP.NET 4.0, x64
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
This subject was up ages ago and for beeing a bit lazy, I refer to that post from 2007 which is located at web.config parsing errors

I discovered today that this error is till present in Obsidian latest RC.
It's about Plesk writing <trust level="xxxx" /> in the first occurence where it finds the <system.web> tag. The problem is that there might be multiple occurences of <system.web> and the first one is not always the correct one to put trust level in.

What you get then is an error in the form of:
<< Exception message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. >>
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Insert manually the following somewhere at the top in web.config:
<location path="NonExistent.aspx" allowOverride="false">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
<trust level="Full" />
</system.web>
</location>

Then change CAS Trust Level from Plesk and you will see that <Trust level=xxx> is written in the section I pasted above without looking for further <system.web> tags later in web.config.
ACTUAL RESULT:
<< Exception message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. >>

You have to manually edit web.config and remove the line with <trust level=xxx> every time you change something in ASP.NET settings within Plesk.
EXPECTED RESULT:
Well, expected result is that Plesk parse the whole web.config file and inserts trust level in the correct section.
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
I hope you can provide a solution for the sharp release of Obsidian on Sept 25th.
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Thank you for report. Bug PPP-44387 was confirmed and submitted.

Back