• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Webmail not working

SjoerdB

New Pleskian
Hi,

i'm kind of a newby into installing Plesk myself, but it all worked out fine. I only have a problem with 2 things:

1. webmail: I have checked roundcube to be the default webmail, but if I enter webmail.mydomain.com it displays server not found, so I think something is wrong with the DNS settings, but I just don't know what... I've been busy for a few hours now, but can't seem to get it work properly.

2. In the server tab when I choose: Updates and Upgrades it gives me after a while this error message: can't make a connection with <server ip>:8447.

I thought the default setting in Plesk was webmail.yourdomain.com to access webmail?

What am I doing wrong? Can somebody please help me out :) I've added 2 screens of my Plesk setup.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sjoerd

Attachments

• dns.jpg
    dns.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 22
  • mainscreen.jpg
    mainscreen.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 20
1. webmail: I have checked roundcube to be the default webmail, but if I enter webmail.mydomain.com it displays server not found, so I think something is wrong with the DNS settings, but I just don't know what... I've been busy for a few hours now, but can't seem to get it work properly.

Are you sure the nameservers of your domain name point to your plesk server? In other wards, are you sure it's plesk hosting your DNS records? Because if it were, you would get a different message (such as there is no hosted domain plesk template ...)

2. In the server tab when I choose: Updates and Upgrades it gives me after a while this error message: can't make a connection with <server ip>:8447.

This explains a blocked port 8447. Ensure it's open in your firewall. If you have not installed a firewall manually, then check the default firewall settings that come with plesk.

I thought the default setting in Plesk was webmail.yourdomain.com to access webmail?

That is correct, it's webmail.yourdomain.com/

Thank you for your quick reply!

Well maybe that's the whole problem, because (as you see in the screen) the NS links to ns.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl But my domains are registered somewhere else then where I have my VPS hosting.

And my plesk addres is the IP address: 95.47.140.191 if I try to input this with the nameserver it says: nameserver invalid How can I give my plesk server a normal address?

It's pretty hard to set this all up, as I read the documentation of Plesk I didn't understand the DNS part quite well :)

I have 3 domains now displaying when I login to Plesk, one of them is localhost.localdomain that's the one I had to setup during installing Plesk, but I have no idea what this is for.

Looking forward for the replies,

Sjoerd

Are you sure the nameservers of your domain name point to your plesk server? In other wards, are you sure it's plesk hosting your DNS records? Because if it were, you would get a different message (such as there is no hosted domain plesk template ...)

This explains a blocked port 8447. Ensure it's open in your firewall. If you have not installed a firewall manually, then check the default firewall settings that come with plesk.

That is correct, it's webmail.yourdomain.com/

Am sure your domain name is pointed to some: ns1/ns2.somedomain.com ...
Firstly, make sure that those ns1/ns2.somedomain.com is either:

1. Fully registered and pointed to your plesk server ...(You do this from where you registered it from and NOT plesk!!)
2. If ns1/ns2.somedomain.com is not yours but you have an interface to manage your DNS records, then in that interface ensure that the A records all point to your plesk server. (Most domain registrars give you FREE DNS tools...)

It's indeed not mine, but registered at strato, they give me access to DNS and I had already set the A record to my ip address as shown in the printscreen. That's why i'm a little confused.

Greetings,

Sjoerd

Attachments

• strator.jpg
    strator.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 17
You do not have A records for webmail. created at your dns server / host. See below

Code:
# dig webmail.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl @docks09.rzone.de

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> webmail.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl @docks09.rzone.de
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43875
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;webmail.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl.   IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl.    7200    IN      SOA     docks09.rzone.de. hostmaster.strato-rz.de. 2014011602 86400 7200 604800 7200

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 81.169.146.19#53(81.169.146.19)
;; WHEN: Sat Jan 18 18:41:09 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 118

where should I do that? In Plesk?

Because in Plesk I have:

webmail.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl. A 95.47.140.191 (as you can see in one of the screens)
webmail.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl. MX (10) mail.sjoerdvanbiljouw.nl.

You should do that from the DNS manager of the interface given to you by your domain registrar ...(& not plesk)

Domain nameservers:
docks09.rzone.de
shades03.rzone.de

Ok, but were my domain is hosted I can only choose between this:

A record: 1. strato server or 2. Enter your server IP address

I've entered here my IP address, witch works because my website is diplaying from my server with my IP address

Should I create a subdomain then?

As I dont know much about your DNS interface, sorry I can't advice much about it...

Back