• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Webspace suspend disables DNS

_KevinH

New Pleskian
BUG REPORT: Webspace suspend disables DNS

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
11.0.9 Update #60
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz
Linux version 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Feb 22 00:31:26 UTC 2013

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
Suspending a domain for which Plesk is managing the DNS zones for that domain results in the removal of the domain from the DNS zone.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Option 1: Visit Home > Subscriptions > DOMAINNAME.com and on the General tab, click the "Suspend" button on the toolbar (the button between Change Hosting Settings and Change Subscriber)

Option 2: From the commandline, run /usr/local/psa/bin/subscription --webspace-off DOMAINNAME.com

ACTUAL RESULT
Visiting the domain in a web browser results in "Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at www.DOMAINNAME.com."

Lookup the domain with the 'dig' commandline tool returns no result.

$ dig DOMAINNAME.com @ns1.SERVERNAME.com
; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> DOMAINNAME.com @ns1.SERVERNAME.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 54111
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;centronfuelsaver.com. IN A

;; Query time: 24 msec
;; SERVER: IP_ADDR#53(IP_ADDR)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 22 10:14:45 CST 2014
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 38

EXPECTED RESULT
Default Plesk server page should be displayed, as if a domain had been created, but no webspace files added.

Lookup with the 'dig' commandline tool should return the A record including the server IP address.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Workaround: After suspending the domain, if you then visit Home > Subscriptions > DOMAINNAME.com > Website & Domains > DNS Settings and click the icon for "Switch Off the DNS Service" and then click again to "Switch on the DNS Service" you then achieve the EXPECTED RESULT.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
11.0.9 Update #60
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz
Linux version 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-3) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Fri Feb 22 00:31:26 UTC 2013

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
Suspending a domain for which Plesk is managing the DNS zones for that domain results in the removal of the domain from the DNS zone.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Option 1: Visit Home > Subscriptions > DOMAINNAME.com and on the General tab, click the "Suspend" button on the toolbar (the button between Change Hosting Settings and Change Subscriber)

Option 2: From the commandline, run /usr/local/psa/bin/subscription --webspace-off DOMAINNAME.com

ACTUAL RESULT
Visiting the domain in a web browser results in "Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at www.DOMAINNAME.com."

Lookup the domain with the 'dig' commandline tool returns no result.

$ dig DOMAINNAME.com @ns1.SERVERNAME.com
; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> DOMAINNAME.com @ns1.SERVERNAME.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 54111
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;centronfuelsaver.com. IN A

;; Query time: 24 msec
;; SERVER: IP_ADDR#53(IP_ADDR)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 22 10:14:45 CST 2014
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 38

EXPECTED RESULT
Default Plesk server page should be displayed, as if a domain had been created, but no webspace files added.

Lookup with the 'dig' commandline tool should return the A record including the server IP address.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Workaround: After suspending the domain, if you then visit Home > Subscriptions > DOMAINNAME.com > Website & Domains > DNS Settings and click the icon for "Switch Off the DNS Service" and then click again to "Switch on the DNS Service" you then achieve the EXPECTED RESULT.

--------------------------------------------------------------

One justification for keeping the DNS service active even when the domain has been disabled in Plesk is that in some cases the DNS may reference services not hosted on Plesk. For instance, MX records which are pointed to some 3rd party service. While I feel it is reasonable to disable someone's website for non-payment of hosting, I do not feel it is reasonable to also disable their ability to receive email when that email service is not being provided through me.

Last edited:
test post because the forum somehow ate my previous post.

EDIT: I don't know what happened but I had a post here previously which said that a justification for NOT wanting to disable the DNS is when the client has their mail at a 3rd party but their Web and DNS hosting in Plesk. Should be able to suspend the web without affecting their mail service, but because suspend disables DNS, the mail stops flowing even though it is not hosted on this server.

Last edited:
I couldn't reproduce your bug report. I followed all your instructions but even after suspension my domain DNS records are still active (with the same behavior you expect.

Code:
Web Server's Default Page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.
You can do the following:
Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel.
For more information please contact Administrator.

Hello abdi - did you actually query the DNS server, or only visit the page in a web browser?

Depending on how your DNS caching is setup, you may not notice the fact that it was disabled right away if you only test in your web browser. You need to directly query the DNS record through the affected DNS server. I recommend the 'dig' or 'nslookup' tools for this.

I did run the DIG right on the server it self:

Code:
# dig somedomain.org @localhost

Back