• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Weird things with MySQL

P

PedstersPlanet

O/S: Linux 2.4.20-021stab028.18.777-enterprise - Fedora
CPU: GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
MySQL: MySQL 3.23.58
---------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt it's anything to do with Plesk, but I'm pulling my hair out here..... I hope I can find a solution to this..... I have one on these VPS with Plesk 7.5.4 from a hosting company. I have this serious problem concerning MySQL.... It keeps crashing, or just gives up.

This is a bit of the log:

---------
>060103 00:25:47 mysqld restarted
>060103 0:25:49 InnoDB: Out of memory in additional memory pool.
>InnoDB: InnoDB will start allocating memory from the OS.
>InnoDB: You may get better performance 1if you configure a bigger
>InnoDB: value in the MySQL my.cnf file for
>InnoDB: innodb_additional_mem_pool_size.
>060103 0:25:59 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
>InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
--------

Ok, I added:

set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=45M

to my.cnf, ok, great......... However, it still crashes (without the innodb advice), and the error log doesnt give me a reason as to why it crashed/stopped:

---------
060109 00:47:31 mysqld started
060109 0:47:33 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 5647710
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 5647710
060109 0:47:33 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
060109 0:47:33 InnoDB: Started
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
----------

..... It crashed 3 times in a space of 24 hours today........ This problem has just appeared (from early December 05), and my hosting support isnt giving me any useful advice, and this problem is affecting my web site(s)......

Anyone have any ideas?

Okay. I have a table of 128meg..but that shouldnt make a difference... MySQL is capable of huge tables, no?.. and seeing the log doesn't give me a reason to the crash, let alone which database, how am I supposed to identify the problem? The blind leading the blind here.....

Totally stupid......

UPDATE: It looks like its a problem with huge tables/databases, as when I REPAIR TABLE tbl_name EXTENDED, mysql crashed.... am trying it in shell now..REPAIR TABLE tbl_name EXTENDED.... <whistle.. whistle.. whistle..>..... <8 minutes later>.. Table OK.. CHECK TABLE tbl_name.....<1 second later>....Table OK.....

Ok, lets try a search in my search engine (beta) for games:
Displaying 1-10 of 1355 result(s). (1.69 seconds)

Fast, but a bit too slow? However, a week ago it was 12.xxx seconds lol.... Not good at all.. So I'm wondering if my problem is with HUGE tables? If so, I can kiss my search engine bye! :( and its only indexed 25,312 pages :(.....
Search Engine Database stats: total number of records in its database is 26,100 - with a total size of 94.4mb (decreased in REPAIR)...

If this is the case, then my Directory will suffer too, as the site count is only 31,687 (but a lot pending) - and total number of records in its database is 124,550 - with a total size of 12.4mb... Its ok for now, but in the future?

So, is my theory with the big databases valid or flawed?

It crashed again:

================
Number of processes running now: 0
060112 03:15:45 mysqld restarted
060112 3:15:48 InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 6008577
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 6008577
060112 3:15:52 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
060112 03:15:53 mysqld ended
=================

It doesnt even say why it ends.. also, why does MySQL restart, or is this normal?

Looks like my research isnt the cause, as 1. from october to the end of november, it was running smoothly; and 2. I have not added any scripts from then.

So, there must be something wrong with the InnoDB - which is very odd as my databases are all MyISAM's, so, what gives? Does Plsk use InnoDB's?

Originally posted by PedstersPlanet
It crashed again:

It doesnt even say why it ends.. also, why does MySQL restart, or is this normal?

Looks like my research isnt the cause, as 1. from october to the end of november, it was running smoothly; and 2. I have not added any scripts from then.

So, there must be something wrong with the InnoDB - which is very odd as my databases are all MyISAM's, so, what gives? Does Plsk use InnoDB's?

I have the same EXACT problem here with my server.

Any clues?

Regards

Please i have the same problem. How do you solved it?

Thanks in advance

I am having the same problems, ever since I upgraded the Virtuozzo kernel of the hostmachine from 2.4.20-021stab028.24.777-enterprise to 2.6.8-022stab078.9-enterprise.

Under the 2.4 kernel this VPS has been stable for more than half a year.

I just tried giving the VPS more memory, let's hope that solves the problem. (Otherwise I am going back to 2.4)

Back