• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Weird time problem

DRY411S

Basic Pleskian
In PLESK I have set the time to GMT and synced with pool.ntp.org. The time being displayed in the GUI is GMT.

At command line I have verified date and hwclock. Both are set to GMT.

But if I look in the postfix maillog, timestamps are EST.

This is also affecting when things run in CRON and when Backups run.

Anybody help with what is going on here?

(PLESK 11.5 on Centos 6.5)

Thank you but neither of those helps.

The first of those links is for PLESK 9 the second is for PLESK 10. I am running PLESK 11.

My host says:

I did some digging and it looks like Postfix uses the bash variable TZ to govern its timestamps. It loads this on startup from /etc/sysconfig/clock.

[root@goofy1 ~]# postconf -d|grep TZ
export_environment = TZ MAIL_CONFIG LANG
import_environment = MAIL_CONFIG MAIL_DEBUG MAIL_LOGTAG TZ XAUTHORITY DISPLAY LANG=C

I believed this tied to:
[root@goofy1 ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/clock
ZONE="America/Chicago"

I tried setting this to GMT however restarting the service seems insufficient.

To be honest, I don't much care about the timestamp on the maillog.

I am much more concerned that it is now 26 hours since I posted here about a time problem, and a scheduled DAILY backup controlled by PLESK still has not run.

The old 'turn it off and turn it back on again' solution. :)

Which is precisely what I did eventually. History was that host installed CentOS 6.5 on a new server, then PLESK 11.5, then I migrated all my domains over from another PLESK 11.5 install, and changed the system time (through PLESK).

At the end of that, the time was out of sync, and crond had stopped!

Back