• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Well Great... QMAIL SMTPD not receiving!

N

nveid

Well great, everything went fine until recently. Qmail went on for several months, never a problem from that. Been problems from other things, but /never/ a problem from SMTP. Then all of sudden it decides to crapp on me.. Yay

I'm getting a message sorta like this in my syslog.

Sep 2 18:02:22 <MYSERVER> qmail: 1157234542.103257 delivery 37: deferral: Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

I tried reconfiguring qmail.. still nto up, i look in the plesk panel it shows SMTP as down.. can't seem to get it up.. I saw a previous thread back in 7.5 days of Plesk someone asking of this in march of 05 who had the same problem. No one helped him, so... Has /anyone/ else ever seen a problem like this? My server has been going along way too long to reinstall the plesk stuff from scratch now.

thought i'd add.. I'm running Debian

this is a snippet from my inetd.conf
#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
#smtp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail -Am -bs
#<off># 587 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail -Am -bs
#smtps stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail -Am -bs
#<off># submission stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail -Am -bs
#<off># smtp stream tcp nowait.1000 root /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env tcp-env /usr/sbin/rblsmtpd -r dnsbl.sorbs.net;smatest.com /var/qmail/bin/relaylock /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd /var/qmail/bin/smtp_auth /var/qmail/bin/true /var/qmail/bin/cmd5checkpw /var/qmail/bin/true
#:INFO: Info services
#<off># finger stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.fingerd
#<off># smtp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail -Am -bs
#<off># smtps stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sendmail sendmail -Am -bs

I uncommented the <off> blocks for smtp once as well.. it still wouldn't come up when i attemptd /etc/init.d/inetd restart... Anyone have any ideas how to just get qmail smtp up period? this is getting really aggravating period.

Try restarting the qmaild service. When/if it fails, copy the last ~10 lines from /var/log/messages, and put it here in the forum. Note: Please remove any specific usernames beyond that of "qmail" or "qmaild" for security reasons. Likewise, please remove any IPs from the post as well.

This will assist us in assisting you. We need more information than "it just stopped working". Thankfully, you seem to be willing to at least try to fix it, which is why I would be willing to try to help. I can't say that I'll get you back on your feet, but I'll gladly do what I can to get you there. And the sheer fact that you're at least trying things will get others to help you as well...

i managed to get it going through i guess some unorthodox methods.. I took uncommented the sendmail line in there removed the -Am part (cause the qmail sendmail wrapper doesn't support that).. Restarted inetd & wala, it finally decided to be on its feet again. :)

Back