• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Force uninstall/reinstall qmail

truenorf

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I've been using qmail and I get on pretty well with it, but I just had some problems recently (after updating to Plesk 10.2.0 and getting php 5.3 installed). I suddenly seemed to have drweb installed that I didn't want, and I was getting update messages from it every night. I couldn't see how to remove it in plesk updater so I removed drweb with an rpm -e command line I googled. That seemed to go well, but then qmail started playing up - sometimes wouldn't send, sometimes wouldn't receive, sometimes my imap/pop3 access was fine, but the server couldn't send mail from the command line (or php mail() command).

I fixed these symptoms on a couple of occasions by switching to postfix, and then back to qmail using the updater. All went well until today when the switch to postfix failed with an error message. But postfix seemed to be installed and working - top shows postfix and not qmail. Plesk shows postfix under services management as the mta and the queue looks like a postfix queue. However... each time I go to the updater (GUI or command line) it shows both qmail and postfix as 'currently installed':

attachment.php

It doesn't matter whether I try to force through the change to postfix, or switch back to qmail and I just keep getting the same error message. It all goes well until it has to deal with qmail right at the end. Then the log says:

Code:
Installing the following packages:
package dummy_obsoleter_psa-qmail-rblsmtpd-0.0
package dummy_obsoleter_plesk-mail-qc-driver-0.0
package plesk-mail-pc-driver-10.11.0-cos5.build1011110331.11.x86_64
package dummy_obsoleter_psa-qmail-0.0
Committing changes...
Preparing packages for installation...
plesk-mail-pc-driver-10.11.0-cos5.build1011110331.11
Shutting down kernel logger: [PASSED]
Shutting down system logger: [  OK  ]
Starting system logger: [  OK  ]
Starting kernel logger: [PASSED]
 Trying to register service xinetd... done
 Trying to stop service qmail...
ERROR while trying to Unable to handle qmail
Check the error reason(see log file: /tmp/plesk_10.2.0_installation.log), fix and try again

Trying to register service xinetd... done
 Trying to stop service qmail...
Check the error reason(see log file: /tmp/plesk_10.2.0_installation.log), fix and try again

Unable to handle qmail

***** installing problem report *****
Unable to handle qmail
error: %preun(psa-qmail-1.03-cos5.build1011110330.18.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
ERROR: An error occurred during installation of packages.

FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/PSA_10.2.0/plesk-10.2.0-cos5-x86_64.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/SITEBUILDER_5.2.0/sitebuilder-5.2.0-rhall-all.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/BILLING_10.2.0/billing-10.2.0-rhall-all.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/MYSQL_5.1/mysql-5.1-rhel5-x86_64.inf3
FileFetcher: get file (~empty)/APACHE_2.2.12/apache-2.2.12-rh5-x86_64.inf3
Execute command /usr/sbin/getenforce
Disabled
Error: An error occurred during installation of packages.
Attention! Your software might be inoperable.
Please, contact product technical support.

Additionally, when I try to restart qmail I get:

Code:
service qmail restart
qmail: unrecognized service

even though Plesk thinks qmail is installed. I've tried yum uninstalling psa-qmail but that won't play either.

Spent a day on this now and just can't get qmail to uninstall, reinstall or install any which way I try. Tried using the bootstrapper and mchk and autoinstaller from the command line. All without success.

Any ideas?

I'm using Plesk 10.2.0 on Centos 5.6.

Many thanks,

TN

Attachments

• mail_servers.jpg
    mail_servers.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Igor,

That's a useful article. Unfortunately, I've already tried those suggestions and still keep getting the error message when the installer script attempts to handle the qmail service near the end of installation.

It seems that the original switch to postfix did not uninstall qmail properly so the system thinks both qmail and postfix are installed. if I try to switch back to qmail then postfix is removed properly but qmail isn't reinstalled (as it thinks it's already there!) I need a way to force qmail to be uninstalled, then I can reinstall it as described in that article.

Is there a switch like --remove-component or something that I can use with the autoinstaller command line?

TN

You can uninstall necessary packages with usual rpm command with --force or --nodeps options.

Back