• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question what are the benefits of upgrading MariaDB from 5.5 to 10.x

larryk

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

Code:
cloud server
server: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v5 @ 3.60GHz (8 core(s))
memory: 29 GB

Product: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35 Update #1, last updated on May 5, 2021 03:13 AM

current: 5.5.68-MariaDB - MariaDB Server

this post was talking / showing that "settings" are very important.

So, I believe my current settings and sites, etc are very quick.
I generally have nginx only running sites and the default caching with nginx (all done via Plesk)

1) what settings are IMPORTANT for performance... especially when going from 5.5 to 10.x?
2) have you seen benefits from the move/upgrade?

I'm trying to prevent issues/problems/slow performance from doing the upgrade.
Any help, input, recommendations, or tips very much appreciated!

thank you!

That's not something I can give you the answer for. Put aptly: It depends.

A quick glance, I'm guessing query_cache_size=0 to query_cache_size=16M made the biggest difference.

The only way to get that answer is to benchmark, try different settings, and benchmark again. There's lots of guides on tuning out there to tell you what to adjust. I don't really like mysqltuner.pl, but that's a starting point too.

As for the later, we use MDB 10.5. We went to 10.4 because there were big performance improvements from there, and then 10.5 because it was stable enough and brought minor performance improvements

I think that the issues that the user had in the quoted post result from his excessive tweaking of his MariaDB 5 server. In default configuration MariaDB will not become slower after an upgrade. If it happens, you can always use a tool like mysqltuner to analyze the database behavior and apply suitable tweaks later.

I think that the issues that the user had in the quoted post result from his excessive tweaking of his MariaDB 5 server. In default configuration MariaDB will not become slower after an upgrade. If it happens, you can always use a tool like mysqltuner to analyze the database behavior and apply suitable tweaks later.
Yeah - I think the user was on Centmindmod (which has some really great tweaks) so his 5.5 was tuned well, but on upgrade, they reverted to default. So, it wasn't default to default per-se....

thanks Peter and John,

So by default, in general, upgrading is supposed to be faster/better... but surely it will not be worse.
I'll take notes on my current settings. upgrade. and should be fine?
I can then tweak settings if I want to improve performance or feel I think something is not correct.

is this correct or in general correct with Plesk and MariaDB? -----
bottom line:
1) yes, more benefits with new versions
2) with latest Plesk and MariaDB 10.x => all good.
3) I can tweak settings to my liking, when it comes to DB performance

thanks for the input!

Back