• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

What are the differnces between .asp on Linux and .asp on windows?

F

First Hosting

Hi,

Can someone let me know the differences between .asp under plesk on Linux and on a M$ server?

I cannot find anything useful anywhere :(

Many thanks.

ASP, as you know is native in Windows. ASP in Linux is designed to emulate ASP in Windows. I don't have enough experience to say it works completely but, if I were to run ASP code, I would run it on Windows.

Thanks wsani :) I was just wondering if anyone knew of commands that do not work.

I would like to try an asp site to see if it will work, whilst we rewrite it to php.

At the moment, I do not have the code, otherwise I would try it ;) but in the meantime was just trying to see if there was a document or article listing what does and doesn't work.

Many thanks to anyone who can help :)

From my understanding its completley different, and you cant take a classic asp applicatino and stick it in apache asp and expect it to work. if you want classic asp support (just like with frontpage) then you should use windows.

Actually, ASP on Linux (especially the one managed by Plesk) has no relation to Windows' ASP at all. It is Perl code which is embedded into the page. The only similarity between them is tags used to embed the code -- '<%' and '%>'.

There are some third-party solutions which I've heard about a long time ago (such as Sun ASP) which supposed to work with Apache, but never tried them and Plesk will not manage them.

Good luck.

A possible solution for you

I found I could successfully run .asp and .aspx files on my linux Plesk server by installing mono
http://www.mono-project.com/ASP.NET
upgrading plesk breaks it as it overwrites configs etc, so just keep that in mind when doing an upgrade
cheers

Back