• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

What are these default crons ?

W

WebDork

When I set up a new server it already has the following crons. I can guess at some of them, but dont of course know if they are necessary or not. Anyone know what they all do and if they are needed ?

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/report/autoreport.php --auto daily >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/report/autoreport.php --auto monthly >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/report/autoreport.php --auto weekly >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/sbin/ntpdate -b -s ntp.nasa.gov > /dev/null 2>&1

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/report/autoreport.php --auto daily >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/report/autoreport.php --auto monthly >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/report/autoreport.php --auto weekly >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backupmng >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/local/psa/bin/mysqldump.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/sbin/ntpdate -b -s ntp.nasa.gov > /dev/null 2>&1
The first 3 are hosting based... log rotations, quota checks, and such.
backupmng is, so far as I can tell, a backup program used to check for domains that have "Automatic Backups" enabled...
statistics would be webalyzer, I would imagine.
mysqldump would be the backing up of the MySQL tables.
ntupdate is the timeserver synch option available through the server menu. It essentially makes sure that your system time is set to match the same as everyone else in the world by synchronizing with a well-known timeserver (in this case, you're matching your clock to NASA, plus/minus your timezone difference, of course).
I would suggest against disabling any of these... at the most, if you are real concerned about them all running at once (overlapping times), scatter their start times.

Thanks Nightstorm.

I pretty much guessed the same.

The main one I wasnt sure about (and still arent) was the database backup one.

Back