• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question What hour does Auto Update runs?

rhbk

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have installed Onyx on a CentOS 7 server and I have enabled on Onyx ALL updates to be done in a automatic way.

So does anyone know if the updates are done always at a pre-defined fixed hour? If yes, what is the hour?

I want to know to ensure all updates are done during the evening.

Also if after updates there is a need for a server restart, will Onyx restart the server in a automatic way? If yes, is there also a pre-defined hour for that?

Thanks

So does anyone know if the updates are done always at a pre-defined fixed hour? If yes, what is the hour?
No any pre-defined fixed hour.
There is following mechanism of checking availability of Plesk updates. First time of checking is random. Then each day "last update check" is checking and if 7 days have passed already then real checking of update is performed. Usually we release MU once per week. This mechanism works so for preventing DDOS of our servers in MU release day.
Also if after updates there is a need for a server restart, will Onyx restart the server in a automatic way? If yes, is there also a pre-defined hour for that?
We never release updates that require a restart of the server.

Hi @IgorG

Thanks for the explanation and information. Just 2 more questions to make me fully understand:

1- In terms of updates (mainly from CentOS 7) that will require a server restart, I will have to do them manually, correct? If yes, does Plesk send any kind of notification email or will I have to manually keep login in my server SSH to check it?

2- In terms of all the others Plesk updates (that don't require restart), and since you said there is not any fixed hour, i'm afraid that the updates may cause problems with the application that i'm hosting, if they are made at the same time application is in use. So if there is not work around this to allow me to manually set the day and/or hour for the updates, I guess the best way is to complete disable the Plesk updates and make them myself manually by login in my server each week for example to make them. What do you think? Any better idea?

Thanks

1. Usually restart is required after kernel update from OS vendor repository. As you know, it is not Plesk related issue, but OS. So it is absolutely under your control.
2. You can just uncheck "Automatically install Plesk updates (Recommended)" option in Update and Upgrade Settings and thein install microupdates manually when you want. But note, that critical security updates will be installed automatically anyway.

Hi @IgorG

Once again thanks for the suggestions.

I have disable all updates on Plesk and leave the email notification ON set as daily. This way Plesk will not make the automatic updates, but I will receive email notifications informorming me when they are available, correct?

Thanks

Hi @IgorG

Once again thanks for the suggestions.

I have disable all updates on Plesk and leave the email notification ON set as daily. This way Plesk will not make the automatic updates, but I will receive email notifications informorming me when they are available, correct?

Thanks
Yes, it should work. Also you can just periodically monitor Plesk ChangeLog https://docs.plesk.com/release-notes/onyx/change-log/ and see when new microupdate is released.

Back