• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

What is the best way to upgrade the server?

A

anton_latvia

Hi,
I am planning to upgrade the server, actually I want to just change the whole box. I am not planning to change IP or anything - just hardware. My silly question is - what's the best way to do this - I need to do it fast and safe (keep mails, DNS, custom config files). Old box is running RedHat 9, but new one will have some Fedora. And how is it with licence? I've got 2 options in my mind:

1. do manual backup of all config files and databases (including psa database). then turn off old box and put HDD from old box to the new one and copy files and restore database, as well as put licence file from old box.

2. use PSA backup utility.

Is there big difference in these 2 ways? Which is safer and faster?

Thanks!

1 is quicker but it may cause problems switching from one OS to another.

2 is reliable but can take a while to complete.

You can't run 2 installations of Plesk simultaneously on 1 license so you'll need a temporary license from sales/support to do it.

Unless you need this to be very quick I'd suggest using option 2.

but can I make a dump on old box, turn it off, put licencen on new box and restore backup there? then it will be enough with just 1 licence, right?

Back