• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

What is the maximum number of subdomains?

CoyoteKG

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
can someone please tell me, what is maximum number of subdomains?
And is there any limit on (for example) godaddy to add A-records?

For example, we want to host an aplication with domain example.com, and want to give to users to use like

user1.example.com
user2.example.com
user3.example.com
etc...

Is there any limit for that?

In plesk the maximum number of subdomains allowed is based upon your service plan assigned to the domain.

You must be in service provider view to do the following:

To find the service plan for a domain go to Subscriptions along right side menu look for your domain name in the list and in the title the service plan will be displayed in brackets (...)
Once you have the service plan go to Service Plans along right side menu and from there edit the service plan in question, scroll down to the setting labelled subdomains if the check box unlimited is set then you have no restriction, if there is a number in the box this is your limit.

If you do not have access to service provider access then you will need to speak with the people who are hosting your site for you and ask them what limits they have set for your account and its domains.

Hello,
thanks for quick response.

I have dedicated Hetzner server with Plesk, and domain registered with Godaddy.
I see in Plesk that I have Unlimited Service plan, because I set it.
But I was not surely is there some tehnical reasons for limiting.

Not to sure of technical reasons for setting limits on subdomains, could be server resources, space requirements etc..

Outside of technical reasons there is the financial side of things. Setting limits allows hosting/reseller companies to charge for additional $$ for domains/subdomains by creating different service plans.

Be aware that the number of domains on the "Hosting" plan is unlimited, but the number of domains that you can technically operate on a server strongly depends on the number of file handels that operating system allows you to open at a time for all users and at a time for one specific user. These are normally set to very low values on default operating system images. On a default installation, problems will start when you try to create more than 256 domains, unless you choose the "pipe server logs" option in the Apache settings on Plesk.

But even beyond that, the next limit will be at around 900 domains, because Apache will then exceed its own ulimit file handle limit. Nginx will also exceed that limit. These limits are also valid for subdomains, because they are exceeded by the number of log files that need to be open simultaneously. Such log files are created for domains and subdomains alike.

To solve the issue you will need to make several changes to Nginx, Apache and system configuration files. Most of them are described in these KB articles:

http://kb.odin.com/en/115139

http://kb.odin.com/en/121268

Back