• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Which to upgrade first - sitebuilder or OS?

A

advwebsys

we are currently running sitebilder 4.2.3 on opensuse 10.2 with php 5.2.0 and mysql 5.0.26. the server also hosts many stand-alone webistes. we need to upgrade php in order to be compatible with the latest version of wordpess. HOWEVER, 10.2 repositories are no longer available so our only choice is to upgrade the OS to 11.4. this release has php 5.3.5 and mysql 5.1.53

so .....

a) will 4.2.3 run in this new environment?

b) if not, will 4.5 run in this new environment?

if the answer to a) is yes, then i can upgrade sitebuilder later.

if the answer to a) is NO, then:

will 4.5 run in BOTH environments? if so, i need to upgrade to 4.5 BEFORE the OS upgrade?

any comments would be appreciated!

Latest version of Sitebuilder supports following SuSe OSes:

SuSE 9.3(x86, x86_64), 10.0(x86, x86_64), 10.1(x86, x86_64), 10.2(x86, x86_64), 10.3(x86, x86_64)
http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/sitebuilder/reqs/

So it is not guaranteed that it (4.3 or 4.5 versions) will work properly on 11.4 OS.

As for the question on PHP, PHP 5 with all necessary components is shipped with Parallels Plesk SiteBuilder. Of course it's different if you use customer installation on your server and use server installed PHP.

If your Sitebuilder installation uses it's own PHP, then you can just try to upgrade system PHP/MYSQL with no affect on Sitebuilder side without upgrading main OS.

Latest version of Sitebuilder supports following SuSe OSes:

SuSE 9.3(x86, x86_64), 10.0(x86, x86_64), 10.1(x86, x86_64), 10.2(x86, x86_64), 10.3(x86, x86_64)
http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/sitebuilder/reqs/

So it is not guaranteed that it (4.3 or 4.5 versions) will work properly on 11.4 OS.

As for the question on PHP, PHP 5 with all necessary components is shipped with Parallels Plesk SiteBuilder. Of course it's different if you use customer installation on your server and use server installed PHP.

If your Sitebuilder installation uses it's own PHP, then you can just try to upgrade system PHP/MYSQL with no affect on Sitebuilder side without upgrading main OS.

interesting.....

10.3 is no longer supported either. given that this is a shared server, we are, of course, using the the server's php. and upgrading individual components, like php is not an option as source and binary rpms are no longer available.

ACTUALLY, WE ARE USING THE PROVIDED PHP. I MIS-SPOKE. However, the option of just upgrading php and mysql is not possible, given the age of the OS.

this leaves me in a lose-lose situation. if i install 11.4, you can't guarantee sitebuilder will work. if i DON'T install 11.4, i will lose many customers who need the ability to run a much newer version of php.

i have another server that's running 10.2 which i don't plan on upgrading for quite some time. if i moved sitebuilder to that machine, that MAY be an alternative. where might i find instructions for doing this? i can easily port the ip all the sites are running on.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, here's the latest

yesterday, i grabbed the sitebuilder rpms i had on my workstation and tried to do an install on an 11.4 system i have lying around for test purposes. FAILED MISERABLY as it was looking for old versions of libraries.

so here's what i'm faced with:

if i can successfully upgrade the main server's php to 5.2.4 using a suse 10.3 distro dvd, i'm set for the moment.

however, i will eventually have to upgrade this machine to 11.4 or 12.x., which means that i have to move sitebuilder to a machine with a 6 year old OS, or somehow figure out how to virtualize that old OS so sitebuilder can run.

frankly, i consider this a travesty, and it appears that parallels doesn't really care about thisproduct, as there's no upgrade path. i'm terribly disappointed.

not quite what i need

thanks for the pointer to the kb article.

what i intend to do is to port the entire environment to another machine, not just the application.

under these circumstances, i believe that copying /usr/local/sitebuilder, /opt/php52, the directory where sites are stored (in my case /sitebuilder_sites), the mysql database and the apache site definitions should do the trick. the ip addresses that sitebuilder and the sites run on would not change.

am i missing something?

Back