• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question WHMCS on Plesk Server

MarkLFT

New Pleskian
From what I have read, I cannot provision domains on my single Plesk server, using WHMCS as it seems you cannot have WHMCS installed on the same server you wish to provision on to. Does this really mean I need to but two Plesk licenses, one just for the WHMCS server, and one to provision on to. cPanel does not seem to have this restriction. It seems a waste to have an entire Plesk installation for a single WHMCS management instance, or am I misunderstanding something?

Could you please provide a link to where you read that Plesk and WHMCS cannot reside on the same server?

Interesting argument in the article. I did not yet know this.

WHCMS does not require Plesk to run on. Actually, I'd setup a simple server (without a panel) and install it onto that server. You can find an installation guide here: Installing WHMCS - WHMCS Documentation
So to answer your question, a second Plesk license is not needed. But you can install it on a Plesk managed server if you find it easier to manage the server through Plesk.

Yes it does. The reason is that when WHMCS provisions a new account, it needs to restart services. But it uses these services itself, so when this happens, WHCMS itself breaks. This can only be prevented if it installed on a separate server where the services continuously run while an account (of your new subscriber) is in the provisioning phase.

@Peter Debik, from what I have read neither cPanel nor DirectAdmin have this limitation. Effectively making them better solutions for smaller environments where you only want/need a single server.

It is not a limitation of the panel, it is a behavior of WHMCS. If you believe it can work on the same server, why not give it a try and find out if it does (not)?

@Peter Debik, I am not saying it will work with Plesk, I haven't tried it, and I see little point in trying it when it clearly states on the Plesk server that it will not work. What I am stating is, from what I have read, WHMCS can run on the same server as cPanel or DirectAdmin, without the limitation that it will break WHMCS because it needs to restart services on the server.

WHMCS can run on the same server using cPanel, that is how I have it currently set up.
I'm trying to figure out how it works with Plesk as well and can't find a definitive answer.

It seems to definitely be a limitation though, certainly not a feature :)

Certainly, the underlying reason for not being able to install WHMCS on the same server you wish to provision domains on Plesk is the necessity to restart services during the provisioning of a new account. WHMCS relies on these services for its own operations, creating a conflict that results in WHMCS breaking when services are restarted. To prevent this, WHMCS must be situated on a separate server where services can continue running uninterrupted while a new subscriber's account is in the provisioning phase. This separation is crucial to maintain the stability and functionality of both WHMCS and the Plesk server during the provisioning process.

@ronanmarco I also read that, which is why I raised this question. However, that does not change the fact that both cPanel and DirectAdmin CAN be hosted on the same server that hosts the WHMCS without issue and without anything breaking in WHMCS when new accounts are provisioned.

So, if both of those can find a way to do it, why can Plesk not also find a way? Or is it just a money grab to get people to buy a separate license just for their WHMCS installation?

Back