• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

who can help me with an update?

JohanSki

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

As I already told you earlier I am a (PHP) programmer and not very familiar (yet) with managing a server, but I'm willing to learn.

I want to rent a VPS with Plesk 12 but the webhosting company at this moment only offers it with CentOS version 6.

So here is what I want. I would like to rent the VPS with Plesk 12 and CentOS 6 pre-installed, and then I want to:

1. update CentOS 6 to version 7
2. update PHP to version 5.6 (the latest stable version)

Question A)

I wonder what would be the best approach. Upgrade CentOS 6 to CentOS 7? Or delete everything on the server and do a "clean" install of CentOS 7 and Plesk 12. What would be the best option?

Question B)

I truly hope someone will help me with this question so I can finally rent the server and get started. What I would like to know, explained in baby language, is how I should either upgrade or reinstall (depending on the answer at Question A) the software on the server in order to get CentOS 7, Plesk 12 and PHP 5.6.

Is there anyone here who would be so kind to tell me the exact steps I have to take? I am capable of SSH'ing to the server as root by using Putty, but then what are the exact steps I have to take? Is there anyone who could guide me and tell me the steps (commands) I need to execute step by step? I would be very very thankful!

(I apologize if there are spelling mistakes in my text. English is not my native language.)

Thanks Igor. I see that if I ask assistance it might take 10 business days before they can help me. Is there a way I can do it myself? Can you help me by giving the exact steps/commands I have to execute?

Thanks Igor. I see that if I ask assistance it might take 10 business days before they can help me. Is there a way I can do it myself? Can you help me by giving the exact steps/commands I have to execute?

What about reading Plesk Installation Guide?
I'm not sure that anyone here has enough time to teach you the basic knowledge of Linux аdministration...

>> I'm not sure that anyone here has enough time to teach you the basic knowledge of Linux аdministration...

I understand that. I was more hoping that someone could tell me the steps to execute, as simple as "do this", "now do this". The steps may refer to webpages (links), but there is so many information I can't do this without your help. I need a guideline.

Igor, in the link you gave me concerning the free assistance it says:

2.You must have made at least one attempt to install, migrate or upgrade (either from an older version of Parallels Plesk or a competing product)
What exactly does this mean? I don't know how to perform a new install. That is why I need assistance. And if I want a new installation, will the people who do this clear the current OS and Plesk 12, or do I have to do that?

No, as I told you earlier I haven't purchased the VPS yet, since it comes with CentOS 6 and I don't know how to update it. If I do have a guideline showing the exact steps I have to take, then I could purchase the VPS. For now, I seriously don't know what to do.

Back