• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Why does Dropbox Backup not integrate with Plesk Backups?

websavers

Regular Pleskian
When we first heard that Dropbox Backup was going to be a possibility with the Dropbox Backup Extension, we were pretty happy to hear this as cloud storage backup is something our clients had been asking for.

But after having used it for about 6 months, it's clear that it's a half-baked solution. I'm super confused about this. It's taken *years* for Plesk's built in backup to gain excellent and important features like:

- Limiting Disk IO and CPU
- Incremental Backups
- Exclude folders & log exclusion options

And it's wonderful now that it finally has this.

So the question is, why does the Dropbox Backup extension not take advantage of the existing Plesk features and simply work with the existing backup system, then when each backup is done, upload those files to Dropbox? It seems like the extensions is unnecessarily re-inventing the wheel and it did it by creating an octagonal shaped wheel...

Every night my dropbox backups destroy the server's IO performance because it makes a complete backup (rather than incremental), has a horribly limited scheduling system, includes all logs, and doesn't do incremental backups :(

Thank you for your question.
I should say that at the moment we are working on a common SDK, which will allow us to write modules for backups to different clouds in a more convenient way than is now implemented in Dropbox Backup Extension. In a good way, someday, we should also transfer it to a new SDK and support the rest of the backup features. But at the moment I do not have any ETA when it will be done.

Back